Windows 7 in Europe will have no upgrade options and up to double the pricing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RACERPRO, Jun 30, 2009.

1. RACERPRO

RACERPRO MDL Senior Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Windows 7 fans in Europe are in for a major disappointment. According to ComputerWorld, European customers will have to pay up to double the price for Windows 7 compared to the American counterparts.

No particular reason was given as to why Windows 7 will be priced so high in the EU. Windows 7 in the United Kingdom will be priced differently, but will still have significantly higher prices than their US counterparts.

Earlier this month, Microsoft announced that European copies of Windows 7 will not contain IE8 as a response to the criticism coming from EU antitrust regulators. A browser-less version of edition called Windows 7E will be shipped instead. However, this has forced Microsoft to not allow its customers to perform any in-place upgrades from Vista, which would leave some version of IE on the computer.

Below are the prices for Windows 7 in the EU. Prices in the United Kingdom are different, but pricing in both regions are still significantly higher than the cheapest option offered in the United States. Below are the prices in Europe and the UK. Enclosed in the brackets are the same prices converted into US dollars according to today’s exchange rate. Alongside are the differences in pricing compared to the Upgrade edition of Windows 7 in the US. We compared the Upgrade edition prices in the US since the full editions in Europe are being offered at the European upgrade edition prices.

Windows 7 Home Premium – €119.99/£79.99 ($168.69/$132.22) – Up $48.70/$12.23
    Windows 7 Professional – €284.99/£189.99 ($400.63/$314.05) – Up $200.64/$114.06
    Windows 7 Ultimate – €299.99/£229.99 ($421.69/$380.17) – Up $201.70/$160.18

Prices in the UK are cheaper than those in the EU, while Windows 7 Professional costs twice as much as its counterpart in the US. Windows 7 Ultimate, which retails for $219.99 in the US, costs almost 90% more in the EU, and 73% more in the UK.

Fortunately for some Europeans, Microsoft does plan to offer its great Windows 7 pre-order special in France, Germany, and the UK. The pre-order program for those countries will begin on July 15 and run while supplies last, or until August 14th. The pre-order pricing are as follows:

* Windows 7 Home Premium €49.99/£49.99
    * Windows 7 Professional €109.99/£99.99

Be sure to mark your calendars for July 15 and come back to check out our Windows 7 Upgrade FAQ and more info regarding where you can pre-order Windows 7 in Europe!

source: windows7center.com

2. weinter

weinter MDL Senior Member

Feb 19, 2009
    #2 weinter, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
    Revenge Of The Steve

I guess is the higher pricing is for the fine imposed on Microsoft for Monopoly Practices.
    Seriously the EU is too much, they have been imposing fines on Microsoft much more frequently than other nations without room for negotiation.
    And the money doesn't even go into the rightful pockets.:confused:
    I don't see them suing Apple for Browser Monopoly on Mac OS X.

3. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    I think it's easy - just don't buy the thingy if it's too pricey - after all you can live without this license.

4. footgay

footgay MDL Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Ask Opera or the EU to pay for additional price then.

nah, I'm just joking.:p

5. tomorrow

tomorrow MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2008
    Sry but i see this FUD everywhere and i have to point out something to those that say Windows 7 is more expensive in Europe.

*First no Upgrade versions are sold in EU.Instead only Retail versions are provided but with upgrade pricing.That itself is already cheaper.
    *Second the cheaper preorder price applies in EU too.So you get full retail Windows 7 with upgrade price+the preorder cost saving too.If you ask me i think its a very good deal
    *Third all versions sold in EU will be the E versions.Actually im glad because im an Firefox user and now i dont have to disable IE after install manually

6. poedoom

poedoom MDL Junior Member

Sep 15, 2007
    what do we expect when the eu slams m$ with fines i think its payback time for bill :)

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    One more reason to use a biosmod.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    +1
    The statements that's it's more expensive is spreading pure FUD.
    However I will download the 'full' version (with IE).
    Hate the cut-out crap.

Oh and that's not Opera's fault. I would tend to agree with them
    (they wanted MS to include sobe 5 or 6 basic browser choices at the start)

If you blame Opera then do not forget to blame :
    Mozilla, Google, Adobe, Oracle, Sun, Corel, RealNetworks and IBM too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. martyn

martyn MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2009
    using US windows 7 in europe?

Is it possible to use a US version of windows 7 on a european based pc?

10. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    yes, but you must get one first ;)

11. martyn

martyn MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2009
    im getting one pre order from a friend in the states

thanks for you reply

12. Busykid508

Busykid508 MDL Guru

Jun 4, 2009

I have to agree with you....The EU slammed Microsoft hard and even required that Windows not come with a browser. Now how stupid is that...for how do you access the internet except through a browser....it makes no sense to me...

And those who say well, we can download free browsers, my argument still stands....you have to have a browser to download a browser and so the argument is mute and so is EU...they are dumb as s**t.

13. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    buddy... mark your language.
    Never heard of Windows Update OR FTP protocol eh ?

EU never claimed from MS to remove the browser completely - they wanted from MS to give a choice on the first run which browser to install (like a selection screen or something like this).

14. Rudi1

Rudi1 MDL Member

May 30, 2007
    You can have all browsers which one you like in the USB key and then install it,no problem at all.It's less trouble then use vlite to cut IE out from windows ;)

15. EddieZ

EddieZ MDL Novice

May 4, 2009
    MS had to pay a very substantial fine in Europe and this is the way to get the money back. They're letting the customer pay for their own powergames...

16. footgay

footgay MDL Member

Jun 28, 2009
    or letting EU customers pay for the EU's powergames.

17. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    OR - make me download an 'genuine' iso that contains IE (hate when the OS is trimmed down when it was designed to contain some parts) from third party networks :)

I like to play with the OS and vlite/trim it, but I also like to know what has been done and if there are compatybility problems - then I can blame it only to me.

18. footgay

footgay MDL Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Can we just install IE on top of the E version instead? a pre-ordered-7E seems very cheap for a Full Retail. And I doubt that 7E retail keys can be used on non-E 7.

19. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Yes this will come probably as an Windows Update component (or like a 'Live' install component).
    I doubt they will use the built-in FTP protocol WU is more fail-safer IMHO. And the keys will be different for sure.

However I hate to know that I have a 'trimmed' version (call me a geek if you want ;) ). And no, I don't use IE - I use Opera (but don't blame them for the cut-out ;) ).