Windows 7 in Safe Mode using DAZ Loader ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by fje, Nov 22, 2009.

1. fje

fje MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2009
    I have a couple of questions, so, I'll open a couple of threads. Here comes the first one:

Is it possible to enter Windows 7 in safe mode using a loader, particularly DAZ loader, which is the one I'm using.

I looked for such option in the red boot screen, but it is not. I tried to slect the default boot option and press the traditional F8 key, but no luck (maybe the time to do it is too crucial), so, how to do it?

Should I put this question in a DAZ Loader particular thread?

Thanks !

2. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    The red boot screen is the grub menu, not the menu for the windows bootloader itself, so you need to do this

Hit windows 7 with SLIC emulation normal or whatever,
    then press F8 (again) and select safe mode. I thought zsmin changed the key

3. decmk

decmk MDL Junior Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Key

I think the best way is to be set to key "G" pointing to grub or key "L" pointing to loader.

4. fje

fje MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2009
    Hazar, thanks for such a fast answer.

I succeeded at my second try. It was a matter of timing between the boot selection, enter key and F8 key....

Question maybe to be put to DAZ... Would it be possible to include an additional option for "Boot Windows 7 in Safe Mode using Loader" ?

Thanks again !

5. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    #5 WinFLP, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    It's really outside the scope of a loader.

If people are worried about not having enough time to hit F8 to enter safe mode, do this:

At admin command prompt (start search->cmd->ctrl+shift+enter)
    type
    Code:
    bcdedit /copy {current} /d "Win7Copy"
    This will create a second entry in the Windows7 bootloader. With a second entry by default Windows will display the OS select menu for 30 seconds. To decrease it to 3 seconds type:
    Code:
    bcdedit /timeout 3
    When that OS select menu is up pressing F8 will give you the normal Safemode options.

6. fje

fje MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2009
    #6 fje, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)

WinFLP, I tried bcdedit, but it didn't work at least it didn't for me. It opened a command window and closed it inmediately. Afterwards I went to a command prompt and answered me with an error, saying that "boot...something" couldn't be opened. Might be it is a problem of the loader/grub installation.

On the other hand I'm not sure it is good to put permanently a delay of 3 (or any number of) seconds in the booting process. I feel it is much better to have it only when one has an emergency need of booting in safe mode... thus my suggestion of including it in the grub menu.

7. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    You have to open the command prompt, as administrator, then enter the command at the command prompt.
    The problem is you didn't open the command prompt as administrator as I stated in the instructions. Right click the command prompt start menu shortcut and click "Run as Administrator", or press Ctrl+shift+enter when highlighted in the start menu.

The error has nothing to do with Grub, and everything to do with the fact that Windows won't allow non-administer users modify boot configuration.
    If you only need it during "emergency need" then press and hold F8 immediately after BIOS hands control off to the bootloader. The problem is some people are missing the brief window Windows listens for the key, for whatever reason. If they are missing that they are probably missing the brief period the grub-loader listens for keys, so they are going to be screwed either way. I was purposing a solution to those users (the time could be set at 1 second if desired). Myself I don't have such a delay instituted.

But no wonder they are missing it if they can't follow clear instructions. They are probably pressing F8 in calculator after the computer booted.

8. fje

fje MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2009
    #8 fje, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
    (OP)
    I tried again and this time it worked. But I feel (probably I'm wrong) I also did the "execute as admin" last time I did it.
    Anyway, let me comment a couple of things and ask for clarifying some doubts: :confused:

1.- The user I always have session on is defined in the administrator group, why it doesn't work as an administrator and I have to request and force the command to be executed as admin?

2.- If Windows 7 is started in safe mode BEFORE the loader is executed, and thus without the loader trick it should detect it is not activated, will it execute anyway ? or, having detected it is not activated will it give problems of execution?

3.- If Windows 7 is started in safe mode AFTER the Grub screen is displayed and the "load with loader" option is selected will it load as activated but in safe mode?

4.- I tried some times to enter in safe mode pressing F8 in BIOS time before windows load and this put me in the "select boot device" screen, yes, usually this is F12 key, but in my case F12 does nothing and F8 at BIOS time goes to that screen... Motherboard is Asus P5Q SE Plus and BIOS is AMI at 2204 level. Any explanation for it ? Any way to change it?

5.- Depending on points 2 or 3 answers I would still think and suggest that it would be better to have a loader option than to try to catch the Windows window for pressing F8 key or putting an additional delay in boot time.

Thanks again for all your help and work ! :)

9. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
  10. fje

fje MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2009
    #10 fje, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
    (OP)
    WinFLP, many thanks for your very good and clear explanation :). I feel it answers all my doubts and questions. In fact, the most important paragraph is:
    Taking this into account (that I didn't have clear) there is no need (in the most general case) to have the loader active before entering safe mode, even I feel it is even better to have "native Windows" safe mode.
    ===> changed
    So, going back to point 5 of my post, if I understand well, once the Loader is installed, Grub will always be the first thing to come on, and if we press F8 in BIOS there is no chance of having Windows menu coming in. Si I still feel there is a need to add the "load in safe mode" in Grub menu because the "millisecond" time window could be too few time. Mightbe it could as simple as having an option that would give a small (3-5 secs) delay for the case one need to ask for the Windows menu for the safe mode.
    ===> changed

Thanks again, I will keep your explanation in my "to remember" file :).
    ===> changed
    Hope DAZ also read this post and keep the plan he had to include the additional menu option. Or should I post it also in the Loader's thread?
    ===> changed