Windows 7 in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by vze2mp9g, Jan 31, 2013.

1. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Hello,
    I'm having a problem with Windows 7 SP1 (32-Bit), I'm stuck in Safe Mode. I went in Safe mode for five minuets to uninstall my virus checker (AVG), and it uninstalled with out any problems. Then I shut down Windows 7, then turned off my computer for five minuets, and rebooted. Everything looked fine except one thing, I noticed my task bar was off white, so I went to the Control Panel, Personalization to see if everything was okay. All the Aero themes were greyed out. Then I went to start MS Outlook (2013) and it started, but then gave me the message that Outlook cannot run in Safe Mode. Can anyone tell me how to get back to "Normal" mode. I really dislike backing up my data, and reinstalling Windows 7. I would appreciate any and all help with this matter.
    Thank You.
    David
    OS: Windows 7 x32 Ultimate V6.01 Build 7601 Service Pack 1||MoBo: ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe || CPU: Socket 478 for Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 (Northwood) 3.00GHz [D1]|| Ram: 2GB of 400MHz Dual DDR RAM (Corsair)
    GPU: Radeon HD4650 2Gb || Monitor: Acer H274HL (HDMI) || HDD: 1Tb Western Digital Black Drive || DVD ROM: SONY DVD RW DRU-830A ATA Device || Blu-Ray DVD ROM: LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE GBW-H20L

2. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    #2 steven4554, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Thank you for responding so quickly. I just checked and under Boot, Safe boot is unchecked. The only item that is checked off under Boot is Boot log. Is there anything else I can try to get my PC to boot in "Normal" mode?
    Thank You.

4. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    Try unchecking boot log, see if that works.

If not, then press F8 after bios and before Win7 starts loading, see if there is an option to start Windows 7 normally. If that doesn't work try last good known configuration.

If all these steps don't work, you might have to try a startup repair by using your Win7 DVD.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Thank you for all your help. I did everything you mentioned (Safe Mode was unchecked), then I pressed F8 just before Win7 starts, and attempted to do a repair, but it started to load from the DVD, then it started to boot normally into Win7 and did nothing. It looked like it was in normal mode, but it was still in Safe mode because I attempted to run or do something and Win7 told me that it couldn't do it in Safe Mode!

So, I had to do it the hard way. I backed up all my personal files, my Outlook PST files, my IE favorites (I don't use IE any more, but I still back up my bookmarks), backed up my Mozilla FireFox 19 beta 3 folder, and I made the attempt to install Win7Sp1 as a "Fresh Install", but it wouldn't allow me because it saw that I already had Win7 installed on the HDD.

Then I went into my BIOS, changed the boot drive (which was a spare IDE HD (500Gb WD), booted from the IDE (I usually booted from my SATA 1Gb WD Black Drive), and did a quick intall of Win7. Then I used Diskpart to clean up the SATA drive. I typed in Diskpart from the command prompt and then did the following:

List Disk
    Select Disk (1 in my case, the SATA drive)
    Clean
    Create Partition Primary
    Select Partition 1
    Active
    Format /FS:NTFS /Quick
    Exit

Then I went back into my BIOS and changed the Boot disk to my SATA drive, and then installed Win7. I know this was allot of work, but I didn't see any other alternative. I even tried to make a DOS bootable floppy drive before I started and copied Diskpart on it, then booted from the floppy, and attempted to run Diskpart, but it wouldn't run it DOS. Even when I did boot with the DOS floppy, I couldn't access my HDD because it has the NTFS filing system on it, so DOS never saw any of my HDD.

I know that allot of you on this forum are thinking that I must be crazy because I, more than likely, could have done it an easier way. If anyone knows of an easier way of going about erasing/formating the Boot HDD I will be very happy because it took me almost an entiry to do all of this. I would appreciate any and all suggestions and comments.
    Thank You. :)

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    The few times my frustration has reached the trigger point, I restored the latest system image. Takes about six to eight minutes and I'm right back to a fully functional system.

A time or two I've had to run Windows update, but that's a brief no-brainer.

7. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    That sounds like a good idea. I will have to remember to do the same thing. Most of the time I forget and go right into the updating and installing drivers, and then I forget all about it because I just need to use my PC for Net surfing, reading/sending e-mail and searching and apply for jobs every day. As a matter of fact, once I get off MDL tonight, before I go to bed, I'll run the backup and restore BEFORE I start updating and restoring. Then I'll have something to fall back on. Thanks for posting about the restore feature. :)