Windows 7 Install Limit

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Fishrobber, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Fishrobber

Fishrobber MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2007
    How many times can I activate a legit Windows 7 key on different hardware before I have to speak to an operator?

I remember in XP you got about 5 automatic activations.

2. Analyz3r

Analyz3r MDL Junior Member

Oct 27, 2009
    As far as i know 3.

But then, at least for us in Switzerland, you won't be connected to an operator, but a recorded message will as you on how many pc you have installed that windows, press 1 for 1 or 2 for more.

If you press 1, you'll get the answer "your code has been accepted" and you will get the activation code.

3. Fishrobber

Fishrobber MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2007
    Thanks.

If they detect that two PCs are running the same license, will they blacklist the key?

4. Analyz3r

Analyz3r MDL Junior Member

Oct 27, 2009
    No, they would simply refuse your activation.
    But since the activation is automatic is up to you to give the right answer.

5. Fishrobber

Fishrobber MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2007
    In the past I've installed and activated the same XP license on three (vastly different) machines at once without an issue...

6. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    It does not matter how many different pc's you activate with the same retail key as long as you don't exceed your quota. BTW for me with a MSDN retail key I get 10 online activations and 25 phone activations.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Per key? I need to get a subscription, paying retail for vista and 7 could have put my youngest through college (yes, I run legit. Personal choice for me but I have nothing against you crazy modders).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I just got 2 keys through MSDN academic. I'm guessing these are not volume license keys or they would have just given me one key. Do I still get 3 activations per key?

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    If that is true why don't you ask if you have MSDN simple. So what you are really saying you have two MSDN keys :(

10. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    What's msdn simple? :)

I have access to msdn and there's 2 keys listed. Since they offer both the 32 bit and 64 bit downloads, one key might be for each edition. Who knows.

The main problem I have now is that my pc is burning coasters on all dvd media except dvd-rw. I'm still vista dude until I can figure out the burning issue :D

11. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Still its g*y that ms put a limit on their software, you pay something so i dont think its fair to put a limit on it for activation. I formatted my laptop like 10 times this year.......guess i need to buy windows 7 2 times every year ??? dont think so :rolleyes:

PS: for the people who wonder why 10 times ? i test everything on my laptop before i use it on my pc.

12. MasterHacker

MasterHacker MDL Junior Member

Dec 10, 2009
    You could just do the rearm trick every 30 days or download the Enterprise Edition from Microsoft then you get a 90 trial key then you do the rearm trick. Another option is to mod your bios with slic 2.1 or use a loader.

13. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    My point is that you will get alot of trouble if you upgrade your pc or even buy a new pc. With windows xp we never got a limit on activations, in fact you never needed to be online to activate windows anyway.

14. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

There are ways to back up your activation.

15. Worldwide2010

Worldwide2010 MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2010
    How can I do backup my activation?? I've used my own key about 4 times on my own pc, dont wanna risk it getting blacklisted!

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Im almost certain there was a hotfix out for windows 7 relating to dvd burning problems just found it maybey different problem