Windows 7 install problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Pat1487, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Pat1487

Pat1487 MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2009
    Im trying to install Windows 7 on an HP machine
    The computer was using Windows Vista and had all sorts of problems so instead of upgrading i went with the format option

The installation was going fine until the computer lost power at around 25%
    When i started it back up again it didnt detect that it had already started, so i started the installation over, thinking it wouldnt matter since it would just format again

Before i started anything the disk was set-up like this:
    HP Recovery Partition (D: | 8GB total | 7.2GB used | .8GB free | NTFS)
    Local Disk Partition (C: | 227GB | 120GB used | 107GB free | NTFS)

(The numbers are estimates since i dont remember exactly how much space there was, but it was close to that)

After the power came back on and i restarted the computer it was:
    Local Disk Partition (C: | 227GB | 0GB used | 227GB free | NTFS)

So i restarted the installation, but this time it failed to format giving an error
    I tried to format the Local Disk partition using the disk tools, which also failed
    So i deleted the Local Disk partition and made a new one of the same size, but it failed to format the new partition

I ended up with this:
    Unallocated Partition ( C: | 227GB | 0GB used | 227GB free | RAW)

So i tried using the cmd prompt tool to format it manually with the "format c: /fs:ntfs" cmd, which also failed

Eventually i got mad at it and deleted the HP Recovery partition just so i would only have the 1 partition
    The HP reovery had recovery stuff for windows vista so i figured i wouldnt need it anyway and just got rid of it

Which resulted in what i have now:
    System Partition (C: | 100MB | 86MB used | 14MB free | NTFS)
    Unallocated Partition ( D: | 235GB | 0GB used | 235GB free | RAW)

Not sure what the System Partition is for

Everything ive tried to do to format that unallocated partition into NTFS has failed (going to try fdisk tomorrow, but i dont think it will work)

I also have a Boot partition ( X: ) which doesnt show up in the places i can install windows 7 to, and its write protected (it seems to have windows 7 set-up files on it)

Im almost out of ideas on how to fix this, so if anyone knows what i should do, id really appreciate it

2. ScrabbleDaddy

ScrabbleDaddy MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    100mb Partition

Can't help you other then to say when I installed Win 7 it set up a 100mb system reserved partition which does not have a drive letter assigned to it. I tried fdisk somewhere along the way and it was not recognized. I used to be pretty tech savvy, but I've been away about 10yrs! This is all new to me now. I went from a 130mhz pentium with Win 3.1 and 40mgs of ram to this $300 EMachine and it like I'm ready for John Force!

3. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #3 Rosco, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
    Try this

Delete all partitions and Reboot.

When asked where to install 7 simply choose the free space and - normally - Windows either simply says something like Thats all the info needed right now and continues - or it gives a message about creating a system partition and continues.

Try it - what have you got to lose except for about 20 minutes.

If that fails you'll need some diskpartition utility to repair any disk errors.

PS

The system partition is where 7 locates its boot code and the files necessary to install bitlocker if you want to later - the boot files need to be unencrypted in order to boot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Pat1487

Pat1487 MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2009
    Ive tried this several times
    It starts the installation process, freezes at 0% after a few minutes and then says formatting has failed

Thanks, ill give this a try

I dont think the disk is damaged
    But ill give it a try depending on what happens when i use the killdisk tool