Windows 7 installation with HP laptop using product key on the sticker

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DPenhead, Dec 15, 2012.

1. DPenhead

DPenhead MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2012
    Alright, I screwed up. Let's get that out first thing. Please speak layman English to me...Here is my issue...My wife has an HP laptop Model: P4510sUT3000Q5X250MBNNCN22Xa. I have a certified copy of Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade, single use, that I have already used once on THIS computer I am on. I needed to replace the messed up HD on the HP, so I did, formatted it, and installed the Windows 7 upgrade, without using the product key, then upgraded the upgrade to make a full copy of it (heard this is what to do). Now, I am at the point of putting in the product key, and am kind of lost as to what to do next. The HP has a 'Certificate of Authenticity' sticker on the bottom with the product key from the Windows 7 Home Premium that was originally on the laptop before the HD crash. I understand that there is some legal way I can use this Product Key...We do not have the original installation disks for this HP. I spoke with HP, and they do not offer technical support for the laptop, due to the age, so it appears I cannot get a copy of the original installation disks to go with the specific computer. Microsoft told me I needed to purchase one from them, or get a copy to install it off ebay...they weren't much honest help...basically said I'm screwed. So, I discovered this supposed workaround to my problem by upgrading the upgrade on it...but I am stuck on what to do next. I tried to use the key on the bottom of the computer, but that doesn't work, and I don't want to install the key I have already used on the computer I am currently typing on, because they might flag this I'm on computer and shut me down...can't have that, or both would be messed up.

So, what do I do? Any suggestions? Please speak to me so that I may understand. I have tried to read through 2 days worth of the posts on this site, and currently have the Repository open on another browser tab trying to figure out what that Greek is all about. I just cannot accept that there isn't some way to do this, I just do not know how...

Thank you so much for your time and effort. :worthy:

God Bless you,

Dave

2. DPenhead

DPenhead MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2012
    A few questions, Do I need to make an iso of the original upgrade disk for Windows 7 Home Premium, then do a reinstall of that upgrade with the changed files you posted on the link? Do I need to upgrade the upgrade first, or is there something else I might be missing too? Also, do I use the oem product code on the sticker with the laptop, or am I supposed to use the one here on this forum?

3. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    just use Windows Loader v2.1.7 - second link and select oem to HP. it will do it for you....

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. DPenhead

DPenhead MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2012
    I wouldn't think it is the RTM version. I bought the Microsoft 7 Home Premium Upgrade Version, but used it first on the laptop I am on right now to upgrade it from XP. I would really like to use it again on the other one, so in other words, twice. I had read elsewhere it is possible to do this by Installing the upgrade version on a wiped, formatted, HD, without using the product key, or updating it and attempting validation, then reinstalling the same upgrade version over the initial upgrade version, thereby making it a full version without needing to have any kind of other Windows based operating system in place beforehand. Seems to have worked just fine, and the operating system functions just like it is supposed to. Now, I cannot get the Product key to work, but the program is up and running. So, does this mean I need to go back and reformat the HD, and start a new installation with the iso created from the links y'all suggested? Or, is it fine to use the Windows Loader at the point where I'm at right now?

6. stonyi1

stonyi1 MDL Junior Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Use the product key on the Laptop and Just call and activate by phone, when they ask how times this copy of Windows was installed, say once or one. They will then give you the activation code to type in and you'll be set.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    It won't work Upgrade is basically a retail you cannot use it on two systems at once one will get flagged as key already in use. Just use loader for installation on second system or request bios mod.

8. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    This. You (or somebody close to you) paid Microsoft for it, why not use it?

9. DPenhead

DPenhead MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2012
    #10 DPenhead, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
    (OP)
    The only words that come to mind is 'WOW!' You guys are quite possibly the smartest people I've ever met! Thank you SO much!

:yeahyeah:

Easier than I was making it out to be...