Windows 7 Iso: Hash Check Before Unlocking All Editions

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jpl327, Jan 29, 2010.

1. jpl327

jpl327 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2010
    Concerning the Windows 7 Repository: Having done this wrong the first time, might I suggest the addition of a caution to check the hashes prior to unlocking all the editions, as this will produce a different hash. With hindsight it makes a lot of sense. To summarize, the order of steps should be 1) Download the ISO of the version you want (32bit or 64bit). 2) Scan downloaded file for viruses. 3) Check the Hashes. 4) Unlock the other editions using ei.cfg Removal tool (optional). 5) Burn the Iso to disk. 6) Install windows. 7) Activate Windows using your preffered method: Bios Mod or a Loader. I'm not saying to add all of this text, just a simple caution at the point The Official Windows 7 Repository mentions unlocking the other editions.

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Why would we do that?

Is it links to torrent (no warez)?

Im guessing other has downloaded 7 using the links from the repository.

Shoudnt the new hashes match the hashes for oem/retail version if you delete the ei.cfg ?

And if the hashes match original iso (compared to msdn) then you know the iso is untouched nomatter how many times you add or delete the ei.cfg file

3. jpl327

jpl327 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2010
    Having not known there are other links to the download, I did use the links from the repository. I downloaded the torrent, deleted ei.cfg and the hash did not match. I downloaded the file again, this time checking the hash prior to removing ei.cfg and the hash matched. I removed ei.cfg and just to test my theory, I checked the hash again, which yeilded the same result as the first case. I would think that this could be taken as a valid hash for the Iso with ei.cfg removed, but as a standard I would think it is better to consistently reference the original untouched file. I am a noobie and I am posting so I might learn more about the process and resources of MDL.

4. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    You should check the hash of a file before modifying it?

Strange concept. Must not be familiar with the purpose of the hash.

5. jpl327

jpl327 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2010
    I can appreciate sarcasim but I thought my suggestion might be helpful for other noobies like myself and save somebody some time.