Windows 7 KB971033 Issue

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by karlo, Aug 5, 2010.

1. karlo

karlo MDL Junior Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Hi guys,

I was trying to download the Windows XP Mode stuff from Microsoft's website. The site told me to install the Validation tool first before I can download the Wndows XP Image, Virtual PC etc.. So I decided to download it, I think it installed something on my laptop. Then when I try to proceed with the download, nothing happens. It just asks me to download the file again. I'm using Google Chrome, so I decided to use Internet Explorer. It works! Everything is verified. The only problem is I wanted to use my download manager when I'll be downloading a 500 MB worth of file. It doesn't let me do that because the link to the Windows XP Mode image file is through a JavaScript.

Moving forward, the KB 971033 was installed on my laptop. It's fine, it didn't do anything. No "not genuine" message. Good thing at least my laptop's really legitimate. I read some articles that says some people who has that update on their computer makes it a little slow or slower. That's why I decided to uninstall it. However Windows Update kept on telling me that I need to download this update etc.. guess what, it's the KB 971033 update. I never saw it since I had this laptop which was last April or May 2010, since I do automatic and manual update of my laptop. I never ever saw that KB 971033. I think it triggered something on my laptop that's why it tells me that, that file needs to be downloaded.

Anyway how can I prevent windows from telling me to download it and how can I prevent it from automatically be downloaded on my computer? I already tried setting the updates to "notify me before downloading" and it really annoys me because it just says that I need to download that KB 971033.

2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    When you see it as update which I think is now important not optional anymore just right click and hide it. Always look through the updates before you dl them. Further more, it's a safe approach to set updates to manual

3. karlo

karlo MDL Junior Member

Jan 20, 2010
    no tool to prevent the update from downloading or notifying me that i needed to download it?

4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    No - simply set updates to notify you before downloading - it will show up again after it is uninstalled - when it does right click it when it shows up and choose "Hide update" and you won't see it again unless you "restore hidden updates".

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. karlo

karlo MDL Junior Member

Jan 20, 2010
    I see. Thanks. It really helped me a lot in removing that update or preventing it to be downloaded and installed. However I'm still wondering why that update was listed under Windows Update. If I didn't install the validation thing that Microsoft wanted me to install on my computer, it would be listed in the Windows Update window. I'm really thinking that the Validation program from the Microsoft Download site installs something on my computer and possibly any computer user, and nags the user to install the KB 971033 update.

What do you think?