Windows 7 Keeps Disconnecting my Internet

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Shadow Rider, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2009
    Hi Everyone. Two days ago I finally upgraded my Dell Inspirion E1505 Windows XP SP3 to Windows 7 Ultimate (thanks mydigitallife) for the upgrading instructions. But now I'm having a major problem with Windows 7.

Everything runs great except for my DSL connection. Whether I have my comp connected directly to the DSL modem now or through my router, the internet connection drops randomly every 10 minutes or so sometimes (seems to happen whether I'm downloading a file, or just browsing webpages).

But all this morning I was able to use my comp just fine without any internet disconnections, which seems very strange.

I didn't have a problem with my internet disconnecting on me when I ran XP so I believe it might have something to do with how Windows 7 behaves with my comp's hardware. I upgraded to the latest network drivers for Broadcom 440x 10/100 v. 4.60.0.1 to try to see if that would solve the problem, but no go.

Anyone have any advice on what could be the underlying issue? Thanks!

2. vladxed666

vladxed666 MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2009
    This Happened to one of my old machines when I upgraded to vista.. I simply called the ISP and they gave me a certain proxy to use , after that everything was fine (running on proxy) and one day they simply called me up to notify that they have now fixed the problem and I could now use my Internet without having to configure proxy...

If your problem still persists after your driver update try this...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    #3 Matrix Leader, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    I had an issue with this and it was resolved by updating my Realtek ethernet drivers.

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Not being funny here do you live in the UK my internet has been playing up back and forth last few days i just put it down to the bad weather.

6. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2009
    Matrix Leader: thanks, Gonna give this a try. It seems like every morning when I let the modem rest with the power off for the night it goes ok. Then all of a sudden pop! no internet.

vladxed666 : I might try and call my ISP too, this is really ridiculous.

urie : No, I live in Canada. Whether's actually quite nice here, just a bit cold

7. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    yep i had this problem too, just never thought of it as being win7 problem.

8. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    I never had such problem here and I think it is not related to W7, try to verify with your ISP.

By the way it is not cold here (28 Celsius Degree Now):cool:

EDIT: I just instaled WU updates.

9. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2009
    #9 Shadow Rider, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
    (OP)
    Just called my ISP (Primus Canada). They had me move my power supply from a power bar to the outlet. Then do a flush DNS (ipconfig /flushdns)

But they said that the router lights going a dim red isn't suppose to happen so I had them send me a new modem just in case (this one's three years old anyway)

Haha good thing I'm not the only one or else everyone will think I'm retarded. I figured it has to be a windows 7 problem since my XP machine still runs fine. Who knows, maybe its a bunch of old modems not playing nice with W7. I'm pretty keen on fixing this crap cause I have to take one of those online SHL psychometric tests in a few days for a job and I can't have the internet drop on me.

msr: Did you ever resolve your disconnection problem? and if so how?

Hm, still disconnects.

Might not even be a w7 problem anymore since it just did the same on my XP machine. Still, it seems too coincidental that the modem starts screwing around immediately after I finished my w7 "upgrade"

10. vladxed666

vladxed666 MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2009
    ?

any updates on what has happened?
    have you resolved this issue yet?
    I hate to lose a fellow member due to a technical difficulty...

GL... hope to hear from you soon..

11. 1clicc

1clicc MDL Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I have never encounter any problem with window 7 ever since the release of the beta. I have upgrade my hardware to i7 and install window 7 without any issue, it run wonderfully great.

12. kesper

kesper MDL Junior Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Your internet lan/wlan properties UNCHECK => IPv6
    It helps......you may try it. Unless you need this protocol, just disable it.

13. vvvvv5

vvvvv5 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    Auto Disconnect..... :)

Do one thing open IE>Tools>Internet Options>Connections>'Settings'>Advance then uncheck 'disconnect if idle for.....'

Hope your problem get solved...:)

14. indyan

indyan MDL Member

Nov 14, 2008
    I had this disconnection issue when i was on vista :p
    on windows 7 its auto fixed :D

PS:- My yahoo messenger keeps connecting/disconnecting in vista which also fixed in windows 7. Tried several version of yahoo but was out of luck. Installing windows 7 fixed it.

15. 7_eleven.hell-hole_rider

Aug 15, 2009
    #15 7_eleven.hell-hole_rider, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
    @Shadow Rider Maybe you nic is to blame. (very common nb)

Greetz,
    If you havn't figured out yet what the issue was is quite sure this is not an issue of Win7.

Have you re-cfg'd your nic or is it default settings? If default....

I'm posting from Vista partition atm, the exact verbage may be different, BUT is similar in W7. 99% of the time this is the reason of loss connectivity in xp, Me, 2000, Vista, 7, etc... all have this feature.

As well in 7, LOOK & see under "Power Options" via Control Panel >>> Power Options >>> "change plan settings" >>> "change advanced power settings" scroll down to & look under "Wireless Adapter" >>> "Power Saving mode" and be sure to select >>> "Max Performance" over "Max Power savings" if you do not want your nic's power saving feature to turn it self off when idling (no network activity).

hope it helps regards, from one rider to another! ;)

16. Delusion

Delusion MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    This has been happening to me last week as well. When I leave utorrent running over night I wake up to find the connection dead and I cant connect to any web pages or anything. A re-boot will fix it every time its quite annoying

17. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2009
    #17 Shadow Rider, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
    (OP)
    got a new modem yesterday. Problem seems to be fixed for the time being. Maybe the old modem couldn't work properly with W7? I dunno. I'm hoping Dell comes out with W7 drivers for this Inspiron E1505 soon. Not sure how well these Vista drivers are working out for the network adapter.