Windows 7 Key on the bottom of my laptop to reinstall?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by donalgodon, Jul 27, 2010.

1. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Sorry to ask such a basic and dumb question, but I've never actually tried this, so I need to know before I do it.

I just got a new laptop which came with Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed. No CD/DVD media, just a partition.

If I replace the HD, can I use the Key on the bottom of the computer to re-install Windows 7 Home Premium from the ISO I downloaded?

Sorry, I know it's dumb, and I'm sure all of you know this, but I don't know if that's the install key that will activate my Windows 7 Home Premium or not, so before I get stuck, I had to risk the embarassment of the question. :eek:

I'm a newb to Windows 7 this year.

Mostly been using Ubuntu, BSD, or MacOS X variants, so please... don't laugh too hard!

2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #2 timesurfer, Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  3. jrizal

jrizal MDL Novice

May 18, 2010
    Why not create a restore disc to make things easier? Most if not all laptops including netbooks nowadays have an option to create a restore disc just in case you want to restore your laptop to factory default. The main advantage here is that the restore disc uses the OEM BIOS info when you do a restore therefore eliminating the need to go through the activation process. In other words, by using the restore disc, it is "pre-activated" already. No keys, no phone calls anymore. Using the key may or may not work.

4. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I guess I was trying to avoid the bloatware that comes pre-installed. Does using a loader like Daz's have a negative impact on any performance related features over just the key itself? I'd like to be "legal" in my use of Windows 7, but MS has to make doing it legally so damn complicated.

Next question would be....

Is there a simple way to copy the disk contents (both partitions, including the restore partition) to the other disk? I'd like to preserve that functionality, if possible... if it's not too complicated, that is.

5. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    What's the distinction between key and cert?

Do you mean that I can install another version, say Professional, and still be legit?

6. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    cert = model specific
    key = version specific
    Yes if you have the slic 2.1

7. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I bought an ASUS ul30a-x5

Does this model likely have slic 2.1?

Thanks for the replies. :)

8. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Sorry, yes.

So, if I can summarize:

I can simply install (either Professional or Home Premium) using one of the SLIC Keys, then simply activate and be legit?

If I use the Key on the bottom of my computer to install Home Premium, it may (or may not) activate properly.

Is that correct, so far?

Thanks for the patience.

9. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    lol...Why haven't you checked for slic like I asked twice? Then with that info you can use info given in past posts with their links and your good to go :D

So anyone with 2.1 slic can just install appropriate key and cert to activate. Hope that explains things

About the key on bottom I think you can use that to phone activate. I forget cause I never use that. I just use solutions here or enter key and cert with 2.1 slic availability

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  11. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    No, sorry. I should have mentioned that I didn't actually receive the computer yet. It'll be here some time next week. I'm just trying to get mentally prepared. Thanks for the advice. I really do appreciate it.

12. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    TS pretty much covered every thing. Really its simple.

Backup key&cert
    Install Windows 7 clean
    Install cert.
    Install key.

You are off and running. I prefer to manually install cert./key. But that is up to you. After that install drivers and windows updates. Then make a backup image. Before you do any of this. Make sure you have recovery disks or make them when prompted. That way you always have them for the future if ever needed.

13. gyrfalcon

gyrfalcon MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2009
    #15 gyrfalcon, Jul 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
    The key on the bottom is pretty much worthless. It won't activate windows online generally and you need to call Microsoft to get it activated (if their system is working). This is one reason people use the SLIC/Cert + OEM key to bypass windows activation altogether.

If your BIOS has SLIC in it, you can install any version of windows 7 by downloading the (edit:matching SLIC) cert and using the correct OEM key.

14. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Using the tool, after I backup the cert and re-install, I just need to use "Open ext cert" to be up and running?

15. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    You'll be genuine, not legit.

16. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Yes, thanks for that distinction. I'm sorry to ask, but isn't SLIC 2.1 something in the BIOS, so that simply swapping the HD and reinstalling will mean that the key and cert are still there?

If I replace my hard drive, and install Windows 7 Home Premium from my ISO/DVD, then I should just be able to use an ASUS OEM key and have Genuine status, is that correct? Without having to use a loader, for example?

It'd be better, in my case, however to get the Key and Cert from the BIOS first, as I'm understanding it, since I actually own a legitimate license for Home Premium. Is that correct?

When I get the Key and Cert files, I'm assuming that I must save some kind of file/document that the untility uses, or is it simply the text of the Key and Cert that I need.

Sorry to test your patience with my noob questions, but if I don't ask, I can't learn. :D

17. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Manually entering the Cert and Key is just typing in the numbers found in the OEM Key list or I can find my own, using the tool, then re-install it when I re-install Windows 7. Is that an accurate summary? :)