Windows 7 Launch Party

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Digitalhoward, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Digitalhoward

Digitalhoward MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    I was selected as a Host, so I have a free "Signature" copy of Ultimate winging it's way to me. I will of course not be having a party! I think some sort of death in the family may prevent it!

Anyhoo, I already have the RTM installed and have a modded BIOS and am fully activated and working well. Should I sell my copy, install it, just put in the serial for it and active on my existing install? I suspect the media *should* be the same as the RTM so shall I just unmod my bios and active with valid serial do you people think?

2. shorty2008

shorty2008 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2009
    clever...

anyway
    i restored my bios and change to valid key in my 7 pro
    when i got genuine key from MSDNAA.

3. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    #3 Lenmaer, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
    Well if it's an OEM copy, you're f*****, because you can only activate it and use on the first PC it was installed on and not do major hardware changes after that if you want that it stays activated.
    Just hopping for you that you'll receive it before the launch party and not after the party was made and confirmed.

4. bertmace

bertmace MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Retail copy

5. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    #5 Lenmaer, Sep 25, 2009
    Anyway just keep it in case you buy a new PC in the next 3 years and don't wanna mod it, and just leave your modded PC like it is.

@bertmace, I haven seen written on any site that it was mentioned that microsoft would give RTM copies, but only that you will receive a free copy of 7 ultimate. But I may be wrong.

6. frankie3s

frankie3s MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2009
    Exactly! And people don't be greedy. If Micro$hits see these selling on Ebay the party will be over in the future on House Party. Better to help a friend or family member out with it instead.

7. Digitalhoward

Digitalhoward MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    #7 Digitalhoward, Sep 25, 2009
    (OP)
    I kind of want be be fully legit with it. It will arrive a couple of weeks before the party. I will reinstate my old BIOS and pop in the serial and activate. I really cant be bothered to reinstall as I have this exactly as I want it now.

It is retail and OEM has never been a problem getting reactivated anyway. I did it a couple of times before I got some retail Vista Ultimate serials.

8. bertmace

bertmace MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    #8 bertmace, Sep 25, 2009
    I Got retail Msdn keys for all os's so it do'nt matter to me like to have something not on a dvdr for a change and modd bios to

9. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    What's the point?

If your BIOS is already modded and you're already activated, just stick it on the shelf, if the "software police" drop by, you can show them that yes you have a legitimate license.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. smyttor

smyttor MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2009
    You get the copy of Win7 with the party pack, as far as I have been told and from what I have read. MS wants you to install Win7 on a PC and use it to sell your guests, er show your guests how wonderful Win7 is. At this point I'll just more or less follow the above advice and stick it on the shelf for a rainy day. I don't enjoy unnecessary hassles such as hardware changes bringing about a mandatory call to unlock my license (I rebuild and upgrade a lot).

As far as selling it, unless you have someone you are somewhat familiar with, there's a good chance the license will already be associated with your information, being a special signature edition and all. It might not be like that, but... :rolleyes: