Windows 7 licence question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by david toska, Mar 13, 2010.

1. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Hello, and thanks for amacing forum!!

I have a question about legal / illegal win 7 licence. I got my mothers old company pc. (dell latitude E6400) Orginally this laptop was delivered with vista basic. I formated the disk and made a clean install of win 7 ultimate x64. My plan was to use daz loader or RemoveWat. But instead i downloaded latest bios update from dell download web-site. After flashing the bios i see in slic toolkit that i have slic 2.1 in bios. (this was included in the orginal dell.bin) Afterwards i used th commands shown in "The Official Windows 7 Repository" to install cert and product key. And i imediately got activated after reboot.

My question is: is this legal or illegal?? Of course, it doesnt matter, but i`m just asking:D I`m not sure because the slic 2.1 bios was orginal from dell driver download website.

2. apollopimp

apollopimp MDL Junior Member

Jan 12, 2008
    it is illegal since you did not purchase the license ... bill is gonna knock on your door any second

3. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    since you didnt purchase the copy of win7 (that you installed) and neither was this machine eligible for a free win7 upgrade, its illegal.

4. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Ok, Thanks:)

Come on Bill...i`m gonna make sure my rottweiler take care of you!!

5. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    BTW, can this metod some time be detected by WU, or...i`m safe installing all updates??

6. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    You're way down in the priority list. Bill has to first detect loaders and modded bioses of jurassic era. and you have complicated things with the rottweiler.......

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Wrong this machine must be eligable for windows 7 upgrade they wouldn't even supply bios upgrade for slic 2.1 if it wasn't and i have checked fair enough licence is another matter bit if he got hold of official dell widows 7 dvd it wouldnt matter, same as someone who's dell machine came with vista you can install dell xp. officially you are supposed to ask for downgrade but there you go :)

8. BlueMhz

BlueMhz MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2010
    Did the same thing on my HP laptop recently, downloaded the latest BIOS which had SLIC 2.1 and installed HP certificate and product key. As it's an OEM activated copy of Windows 7 it's safe to download all updates. Officially it's illegal, but hard for M$ to detect and probably not top of their priority list.

9. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    There you see... Someone means yes, and someone means no... For my self, i dont know!!! But, it doesnt matter, because i`m activated and happy!!

10. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I actually think you are legal with that. If it was illegal Dell would not have bios updates with slic 2.1 available to download without buying a win7 upgrade first. Just my logic here. Dell isn't stupid and if they are handing out free copies of win7 that way M$ can sue them over it and I doubt Dell would be that stupid.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    It is illegal. Isn't that obvious?
    He didn't pay for a Windows 7 license, retail or upgrade. The bios update with 2.1 slic is just a way of keeping bios revisions up-to-date for further pcs that Dell will sell.

12. pkaji123

pkaji123 MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2009
    #12 pkaji123, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
    I think these laptop's might be elligible for windows 7 upgrade that's why DELL is releasing Bios updates with SLIC 2.1...
    but i think its illegal too,bcoz he did'nt pay a single buck for this...

13. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Yea, well it is not he that is illegal then in that case. It is Dell that is illegal with this situation then.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. SparrowUnit

SparrowUnit MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2010
    That Dell model is probably still being sold when 7 was introduced. You probably bought it within 12 months. If you tried to obtain a Windows 7 update kit from Dell, they will simply send you an OEM installer with the proper certificates and CD-key. Manually installing 7 with the right certificate and key is no different. There is no way MS can distinguish what you did from a proper update.

Is it legal? First of all, I think the burden is on MS to prove your installation is illegal. If they can't tell the difference, I guess it's legal.

15. BlueMhz

BlueMhz MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2010
    #15 BlueMhz, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
    Well simply updating the BIOS doesn't automatically OEM activate your copy of Windows 7, the end user still has to "find" and install an OEM certificate and product key.

At the end of the day, the machine was eligible for the OEM Windows 7 upgrade, but the fact it wasn't registered, likely means it's illegal, but whether Dell or HP are worried about these to do something about it... I wouldn't have thought so.

16. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    If David toska can tell us whether or not this machine was eligible for a free Win7 upgrade, per Dell's policies, the question can be settled.

17. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I dont know whether or not this machine was eligible for a free Win7 upgrade. It was bought in to a big company, and in fact downgraded to xp by the company. But i can see in the service-tag at the dell web sites that the computer are shipped from dell in august 2009.

18. johnone

johnone MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2009
  19. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Question settled......sorry david toska:p