Windows 7 Lite Playback Codec Pack

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by chaddawkins, Sep 22, 2009.

1. chaddawkins

chaddawkins MDL Senior Member

Sep 16, 2007
    #1 chaddawkins, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  2. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    Just wondering, how do you get 7 x64 to show thumbnails with mkv, mp4, ogm, etc... ?
    Tried KLite x64 Codec Pack, but didn't show any thumbnails except xvid/divx stuff, but that's nothing new.

3. chaddawkins

Sep 16, 2007

yeah, i never got all the thumbnails OR wmp associations with the 2 packs you two mentioned... that's the reason i made this
    you have to have the correct registry entries... i spent a lot of time on that

let me know how it works for you

4. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
  5. chaddawkins

Sep 16, 2007
    #6 chaddawkins, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
    (OP)
    i think you completely miss the point of a codec pack...
    the point of a codec pack is to enable what you already have to meet your needs. if you hate codec packs you are the type of person that uses vlite to remove WMP alltogether and this thread is obviously not directed to you

as you can see, because i plainly listed all parts of the pack, there are no conflict of codecs

i too hate the codec packs that have a billion codecs/filters that can play everything under the sun simply because i don't play everything under the sun and i don't want all that other stuff on my computer.
    from what i see, most movies i see/download these days are mkv & avi... this is the target of this codec pack... i threw FLV in the pack because all that was needed was a simple splitter and i keep FLV files from various sites that make me laugh...

and yes, as a version i listed above does contain MPC-HC, i think MPC-HC is a stand-out stand-alone app and i too recommend it to anyone

i didn't really state this at the top but this is a codec pack i make for myself and decided to share it with everyone... this isn't anything like the 2 priviously mentioned codec packs that try to be all things to all people.

EDIT:
    i put a little of this info at the top of the initial post

6. chaddawkins

Sep 16, 2007
    to be honest i didn't think about you x64 people... as i've added, i use this for myself and just simply want to share for anyone that can make use of it... i use x86 Win7... i should add that to the top post

i may take a minute in the following days to look into that for you, but the only way i could test this before releasing it would be to reinstall with a x64 system, and frankly that isn't going to happen. all i can do is google it, which you are completely able to do yourself, so basically, now that i've typed all this, are probably going to be no help to you

7. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    Well I tried a lot of so called magical tuto with Vista x64, where you had to install softs and/or regtweaks but none worked, so I assume it will be the same for 7 x64, the only way to have thumbs I think would be to have fully especially made x64 codecs, now we only have lite codecs or filters. In Vista my solution was to create an explorer 32 bit shortcut and to launch that one to have thumbs, but 7 x64 don't have a 32 bit explorer anymore, at least not a working one.

8. chaddawkins

Sep 16, 2007
    Doesn't Win7 natively show thumbnails and associate mp4 with WMP?

9. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    Not at all, you only have the wmp icon.

10. chaddawkins

Sep 16, 2007
  11. chaddawkins

Sep 16, 2007
    #14 chaddawkins, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
    (OP)
    Windows_7_Codecs_x64.exe

Here, try THIS
    let me know how it works

EDIT:
    link removed, didn't work correctly

12. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. chaddawkins

Sep 16, 2007
    yeah, i tried Communist Community Codec Pack, but it didn't do it for me

14. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
  15. chaddawkins

Sep 16, 2007
    in x86, divx mkv doesn't work with ac3 audio... not just me... everyone else using it.. it's in the divx forum
    codecs being installed in WMP folder doesn't matter

Haali splitter is in alpha, i believe, for x64 and like i said before, i run a x86 system so anything i would post wouldn't be tested

i'm glad you found a solution that works for you :) and that's all that matters

16. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    Well it's really strange that they play flawlessly on my PC, I download lots of anime Blu-Ray Rips (like the ones from Thoranime) who have AC3 audio, and never had any probs.

17. chaddawkins

Sep 16, 2007
    #20 chaddawkins, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
    (OP)

no, i'm not saying that mkv doesn't play ac3 audio, OF COURSE IT DOES lol
    i'm saying that if all you have on your computer is the DIVX PREVIEW mkv files won't play the audio (if the audio is ac3)

EDIT:
    from the DIVX forum-

[TITLE]AC3 in MKV will not play

Hello,
    I have installed this Tech Preview on Build 7100 x64. MKV Files with AAC Sound played fine in Media Player (running the x86 Version), but MKV files with AC3 Sound will only play without sound in WMP.
    Is AC3 supposed to be supported natively in Windows 7?
    If not, is there anything I can use to make AC3 in MKVs work on Extenders?
    I know that x64 + Extenders won't work with this Tech Preview, but I mean something that would work on a x86 machine.

Posted on: Sat, 08/22/2009
    chaddawkins

R3 but STILL sync problems.. and must STILL install AC3Filter

Preview R3 fixes the AC3 problem for me if I watch the MKV from the beginning, however if I skip to a part later in the movie, the audio is out of sync... good try guys, it's getting better but still not there! :)
    also, unfortunately we must still install AC3filter
    it would be nice if we could use the ac3/dts support already in Win7