Windows 7 loadered to Windows 7 legit question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Demophobe, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Demophobe

Demophobe MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2010
    Hi all!

Sacrilege!

So it is.

I am buying Windows 7 tomorrow and will install over my 'loadered' copy. I will uninstall the loader first, of course.

Question: If I run the installer from Within Windows, will it keep my settings? I would rather not do a clean install at this point. What do you think about doing an upgrade, seeing as it will be from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate?

I guess to Windows, it won't matter. After I un-install the loader, I will be back to "XXX days to activate"; doing an upgrade will be of no significance, right? Also, as it will be from Win7 to Win7, an upgrade should be fairly lean; it won't be typically buggy, as 'upgrade' installs typically are, right?

I want a clean, fast system and hope that going from Win7 to Win7 will keep my system pretty much as it is right now.

Thanks in advance folks and sorry for the convoluted questions!

~ Demo ~

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Q1: You cant perform an upgrade from 7 ultimate to 7 ultimate as far as i know, you could always try.. you could use easy transfer or whatever its called and also export settings from you software etc.

3. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    #3 NoJuan999, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
    Assuming you installed a Genuine untouched Win 7 Ultimate ISO you should be able to un-install the loader(removing Certificate and Key)
    and then use the key that comes with your purchased copy to activate your current installation.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Good to know that actually somebody buys legit copy

sebus

5. Demophobe

Demophobe MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2010
    Yes...admittedly, I am still torn. I mean, my current install is fine and if I (we) are honest, there is very little need to go to Windows update at all. Heck, my current install will probably keep me well until after the coming semester, which is really my concern; that my WAT conks out when I am in the middle of grading or something equally important.

My rationale behind going legit is thus; I haven't paid for an OS in 10 years now; I bought XP right away, but used Vista free since it was offered. So, in the grand scheme, even before Vista, I got 7+ years from XP, for some $200+/-. Win 7 is not expensive, particularly when put in a temporal perspective. I think Win 7 is worth my money.

Thank you for your replies. The "easy transfer" look interesting.

6. Demophobe

Demophobe MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2010
    #6 Demophobe, Feb 23, 2010
    (OP)
    Terrific!

I did indeed use the Read-Deal .ISO for the install, but I thought that each DVD had a unique key; that a legit key wouldn't work with just any .ISO. I thought that I am currently fine due to my key being OEM and believed retail to be a different beast.

Your insight is certainly welcome NoJuan! Thanks much.

7. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Uninstall the loader, reboot, insert your key and activate.

If after inserting key it refuses to activate it could mean that you bought an upgrade key. If you did buy an upgrade key there is an easy way to get that key to work so just ask before you format or upgrade install.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Also, make a backup before you do anything.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Demophobe

Demophobe MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2010
    May I be so bothersome as to ask now? I am most certain that I will attempt this key-insertion method, and doubly sure I will be buying the upgrade version. I could use Google, but most of these types of questions lead back to MDL anyhow... :)

Sorry and thanks...

10. Demophobe

Demophobe MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2010
    Well-noted and done. A full backup and an "easy transfer" file to a USB drive.

11. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #11 Dolorous Edd, Feb 23, 2010