Windows 7 missing ethernet controller

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mistermason, Dec 10, 2009.

1. mistermason

mistermason MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2009
    for some reason when i installed this on one my 1 tb hard drive it found internet, and everything worked and when i've previously installed xp on this 40 gb hard drive it still found my ethernet controller, but now installing windows 7 on this 40 gb hard drive it somehow can't find the ethernet controller, why is this happening? they are both internal hard drives if that is of any significance cause i've been asked that question before

2. juzz

juzz MDL Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Have you checked from your ethernet controllers manufacturers www-site if they have new drivers available? HDD has nothing to do with driver functionality. You could even install to some antique 20GB drive.

Can you be bit more specific:

win7 32-bit/64-bit?
    ethernet controller manufacturer?

Also was it fresh win7 install or did you install on top of XP?

3. MasterHacker

MasterHacker MDL Junior Member

Dec 10, 2009
    This happened to once before and I ended up installing the XP driver for my ethernet controller on my 4 year old HP desktop it worked.

4. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Check your mobo CD, you apparently have a driver problem. You need NIC driver.

Cheers

5. mistermason

mistermason MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2009
    it is win7 32-bit i'm not sure of the ethernet controller manufacturer, it's part of the motherboard which is a 250 w ps SIS 651 motherboard, it's really weird because i run another primary hard drive on that motherboard and it's running xp and running everything perfectly

6. mistermason

mistermason MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2009
    oh and it is a fresh install

7. mistermason

mistermason MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2009
    Check your mobo CD, you apparently have a driver problem. You need NIC driver.

I have no idea what a mobo cd is and where would i get NIC driver and what does that stand for?:confused:

8. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #8 genuine555, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
    The sound on that mobo is from RealTek, so probably LAN is also.

Check RealTek site for suitable drivers. You will have to try a few, cause I can't find which model it is...

Edit that, I found your NIC type :

SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

(it's onboard)

So try to find vista drivers for that...

9. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    NIC = network interface card

mobo cd = the cd that came with your pc, which contains all drivers and manuals regarding the pc

10. yackerena

yackerena MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2009
    Is it possible to set up a home network wirelessly without using ethernet cables?
    I want to connect two computers to share files. I have already done this using an ethernet cable before but is it possible to do it wirelessly using a wireless router?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    If you mean an ad-hoc network, yes it is possible.
    Both computers need a wireless adaptor instead of the usual UTP cable.

Setup will be pretty much the same, except for security settings.

12. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Yes you can, you can share photos, video etc. but you have to be connected to the home (or other) group.

Cheers