Windows 7 N Series

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bdearen, Oct 25, 2009.

1. bdearen

bdearen MDL Junior Member

Oct 3, 2009
    If I don't use IE and I don't use Windows Media Player would it be advised to install a "N" version? Currently running Windows 7 ultimate with a modded bios/activated and working perfectly.

2. myexige

myexige MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Just uninstall them, it will save you having to install a new OS!

3. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Well if you don't you use it and it doesn't bother you, just remove the shortcuts, and use alternative software.
    If you completely want it removed from your system (without any trace), then go to the N version.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bdearen

Oct 3, 2009
    Is there any other software tied to windows media player that I am not aware of anyone know? or IE

5. poi2

poi2 MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2009
    You can simply disable / remove them both via Windows features in Control Panel - Programs.

Anything that might be tied to them retains what it needs to function.

6. bdearen

Oct 3, 2009
    on a side note a few websites I use will only run in IE any addon or something I can use for firefox that will make it think it's ie. Or can someone suggest a better browser

7. mobutu

mobutu MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    #7 mobutu, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #8 urie, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  9. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    There are LOTS of programs that rely on the IE engine and/or the media functions of WMP. Why are you even CONSIDERING going from the regular version to the crippled N version?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    N has No Media Player.

That said... the N series is just going to be a constant pain in your balls. You'll have to find special keys, they'll probably have a higher chance to be blacklisted, etc. Don't waste your time on it.

11. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    Why don't u just turn off the features u don't want.. anything like, WMP, IE, Media Centre, gadgets, games, search indexing, etc..

12. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Yea, what freeman said, you can completely remove these programs using the Turn Off Windows Features. There is is no need to install the N Version dude. You will probably have issues later on if you do + If you change your mind with WMP or something you can always turn them back on and use them like normal

13. Paft

Paft MDL Junior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Could you not just take them out with nLite or something yourself?

I just do as Freeman and Sam said; use Turn Off Windows Features.

14. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I think you can but I cannot say anything for sure because I have never used anything like nLite or vLite or anything like that.

15. bdearen

Oct 3, 2009
    yeah just turned them both off via windows features easy enough 2 reboots and I am IE/WMP free :p windows update is showing up just fine.

16. prathaprabhuin

prathaprabhuin MDL Junior Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Of course you can, and that is what the version "N" is meant to be. :)

17. tomorrow

tomorrow MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2008
    This is true
    This is wrong
    This is true
    Yes it exists but it was canceled.I advise against using it.Use N instead

Personally i have used N and very happy with it.Playing WMP embedded media still works with Firefox+WMP Plugin and using IE features still works with Firefox+IE Tab(actually i use Coral IE Tab since it allows adblocking)

There are few odd exceptions but nothing major imo

18. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    How did you activate this version? Do you have a legal Retail key? Did you buy it? or do you have an MSDN account?

unless of course you have a frankenbuild monster... ?! :eek:

Thanks!