Windows 7 & newer hardware

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JoshT, Feb 14, 2018.

1. JoshT

JoshT MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2016
    Getting ready to purchase a new laptop. After looking at a lot of options I'm leaning towards a low speced Clevo P650 based custom. Like that this will give me what I need now and has a lot of room for future expansion in storage space and ram. Not really here to discuss what to buy though.

Spec wise I'm looking at 7th gen I7 processor, GTX 1070 graphics, DDR4 RAM, and what ever components would be found on a laptop in the last year or two.

The laptops I'm looking at are available without OS installed, I'd much rather have 7 than 10 and would like to stubbornly hold out a bit longer before making the move. I recall reading that Windows was dropping support for newer hardware in 7, but not exactly sure what that means.

If I bought one of these Clevo P650 laptops without OS, could I install and reliably run Windows 7? Assuming that it's still available would the alternate upgrade path to 10 still work? Don't want 10 as main OS, but may still install as dual boot.

2. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    The most important thing to do is to make sure that the machine that you are going to buy contains CSM or Legacy/Bios options in the bios because otherwise you will face difficulties to install win7 using pure UEFI on the machine. you might even not be able to install win7 on the machine if CSM options are not present in the bios.