Windows 7 OEM, how to switch between brands?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by zubber, Oct 24, 2009.

1. zubber

zubber MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    Hi I'm new here; in fact this is my first post.

I see Win7 Ultimate OEM. But it doens't specify the manufacturere, e.g. Dell, HP.

1. All OEM use the same ISO?
    2. Can I switch OEM to VOL just by changing a few keys (ie. PID in Windows XP)?
    3. I have Dell, HP, and Toshiba machines, should I play with OEM or a Retail? If OEM, where do I find the oembios files?

Thanks!

2. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Actually, there's no such thing as OEM ISO, all the ISOs are the same, what differentiates an RETAIL installation from an OEM is the fact that the OEM is activated off-line and it depends on the SLIC table in your computer BIOS, together with a certificate and an activation key.

Already the RETAIL should be activated on-line through a key.

The SLIC table comes with your computer inside the BIOS so you only can have an off-line install with original branded hardware. The SLIC version for Windows 7 is 2.1

You should read several posts inside this forum to understand better this thing.

Sincerely,:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. zubber

zubber MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    SCBrigth,

thank you very much for replying. I definitely need to read more about this. I tried a few searches, but couldn't find what I needed. Do you have any links to the posts? Thanks.

One more question. I skipped Vista totally so I have no idea of how SLIC works on that thing. My knowledge is limited to XP; does Win7 SLIC work the same way as XP? Do I need to put in any OEM to the ISO?

Thanks much!

4. zubber

zubber MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    How do I find the cert? Thanks. I think the OEM keys are already posted.

Can I switch Ent. VOL to Ultimate from the same ISO??

Really appreciate!!

Zub

5. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    #5 SCBrigth, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. zubber

zubber MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    Hey dude,

thanks!!!

7. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Wrong.
    OEM manufacturers have OEM Install DVDs for End Users that come with Branding.

Wrong again.
    XP used SLIC 1.0

8. odinthegreatone

odinthegreatone MDL Junior Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Wrong, XP infact uses SLP for activation not SLIC. Vista uses SLIC 2.0 and Win7 uses SLIC 2.1.

9. zubber

zubber MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    oooooooooooops.

now i am confused.....

hey, this is my goal: to have a copy of win 7 that works on all computers (like the xp vol edition) and another copy specifically for Dell (or HP).

What are my options?

thanks,.

10. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    that is the thing about Windows 7 is that one disk does it all, just find a Ultimate edition disk. Everything as far as activation is done after you install the OS. It is possible to integrate certificates and keys into images so on new machines that contain a SLIC 2.1 table they are automatically activated. The thing is that it only takes 2 commands to install a key and activate using a certificate. Windows 7 will always require online activation unless it is converted to OEM by using a OEM key and certificate, in that case it uses SLP 2.0 activation using the SLIC 2.1 table in the BIOS, like the OEM versions of XP used the SLP table to activate offline. If you want OEM logo packs there are ones out there so after you install your cert you can install a OEM logo and theme if you like.

The best thread is the Official Windows 7 repository thread stickied up top. It has everything you need in there, and what isn't in there we should be able to answer.

11. zubber

zubber MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    Excellent!! Thanks man!

The thing is, I can't use p2p here, it's blocked. I can only use DD.

I read a note that the Retail Ultimate downloads from the Russian site are fishy since they have different hash codes.

Would you or anyone please provide reliable retail ultimate x86/x64 download link?

Much appreciate, really!

12. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #12 Myrrh, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017