Windows 7 on Acer LAptops

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by aa321, Nov 5, 2009.

1. aa321

aa321 MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2009
    Hi

1.I have an acer 8920g laptop and want to install windows 7, will windows 7 be fine with this?
    2. Where can i get the crystal eye webcam drivers from and the fingerprint reader drivers?
    3.because i have 4GB ram will windows 7 32bit apps work with windows 7 64bit?

many Thanks for all your help and support

2. LeoKing

LeoKing MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    Your Acer is an excellent laptop, I don't see why it can't run Windows 7. Most Vista drivers should work fine for Windows 7. Before installing 7, you should open Device Manager to write down all devices you see in there so if a driver can't work with Win7, you'll know what it is to look for the driver.

3. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    I have exactly the same notebook no problems with Win7 x64 + bios mod but I've to say that the cam does not work.. ( installer reports that no cam was found ) :-/

4. Kraschman

Kraschman MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2009
    We have a 8730 laptop that works just fine, although for some of the drivers and applications you may have to use Vista versions as not all have yet been updated to specific Win 7 functionality.

That's likely the issue with your webcam, as there are more than one manufacturer for the cam used in Acer laptops. The people who made yours may not have updated new drivers for Win 7. The other installer will of course say no cam is found since it isn't "their" cam.

Good news is that the Vista drivers work perfectly well, although one of the apps required Vista SP2 comparability mode to run. At least for me anyway.

5. memberjoe

memberjoe MDL Junior Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    What BIOS mod, please? Necessary? Mine says it's Dell BIOS...

I have 5920G and couldn't update my BIOS with official tool and file -> 11 to 13, that is.

I run it "As Admin" and it's "locked" and can't run, when I choose the latest BIOS...

WTF? Anyone has any idea, please?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. memberjoe

memberjoe MDL Junior Member

Oct 29, 2007
    #7 memberjoe, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanx a bunch! Much obliged!!! Will study!!! ;) :)

9. kesper

kesper MDL Junior Member

Sep 6, 2008
    #9 kesper, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  10. Kraschman

Kraschman MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2009
  11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanx a bunch, Kesper, m8!!!:)

One more thing: one does it after installing Win7 or before?

Namely, I have seen some pre-installation tools and many post-installation...

Being a lay person in IT terms, I am trying to cover all the angles before I do something rash and unwise... ;)

I can see that Busykid508 modded the BIOS I have [3811], meaning I should not try to flash it with the newer version [3813], which is what I intended to do before I did Win7 [dunno why, mind... :D].

In which case, it seems reasonable to an IT lay person, having read lots of stuff here, one should install Win 7 and then mod the BIOS and the OS itself, to have them "married" and hence emulate the original combination.

Have I got it right, please?:confused:

Cheers!:)

12. kesper

kesper MDL Junior Member

Sep 6, 2008
  13. Jirka_CZE

Jirka_CZE MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    I have little bit older Acer Aspire 5610. Windows 7 (32bit) Ultimate works fine.
    But I have a problem with HW buttons on left side of NB which controls volume up/donw, they not working.
    I tried install LaunchManager for XP, XPMC and Vista whit no effect.

Any Ideas ? Thx.

14. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #16 gorski, Nov 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  16. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    No, the "driver couldn't be loaded" - no go with RW. Trying ACPIScope now:

KIS is reporting: "Unknown app is trying to download driver in a hidden way to C... etc. KIS won't be able to control app activity after the installation."

Hence, "driver failed to load" every time... Now ticking the "Apply to all objects" and "Allow", after making it "trusted/add to exclusions"... [I suspect failure to start the driver for RW is also of the same kind...]

Let's see...

I had to switch KIS off, include the object into the exception, as the driver couldn't be started...

Nope, after all that it won't allow the driver to start... Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Re-installed RW and again [having stopped and unloaded KIS]: "Driver cannot be loaded"...

s**tE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

I have to see what I can do with BIOS, if it has some kinda protection enabled, too...

HELP, please... :(

P.S. I have an entry in KIS ["Threats"] under C: * Keylogger - and nothing after that... No place where it "resides", nothing... Can it be related to one of those? It seems I need to reformat, install Win7 and nothing else, disable UAC and WinDefender and try then, with BIOS mods and Activators/Loaders, to make it all "kosher"...

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    One more thing: I was trying various activators/loaders, reading my BIOS/keys etc. - but never actually modifying anything, never clicking on "install" etc.

Can any of those be interfering with it, please?

18. Kraschman

Kraschman MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2009
    Try using the LaunchManager from the 8730 and se if that works. It has been updated for Windows 7. If that fails why not send Acer a email asking them to get cracking updating their software.

19. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    I have a modded bios with Win7 x64 on my GF's Acer notebook since yesterday (had win7 x86 on it untill yesterday), and everything runs smooth. Didn't even need drivers, windows provided them automaticly.

Only thing is the cam doesn't work. Didn't look into it yet. But a minor setback. Everything else runs like a dandy.

Gonna x64 my desktop too, soon as I've got some spare time again.

So relax, bro, you'll do fine throwing x64 on your Acer...