Windows 7 on an X570 Chipset ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by KaptanJackSparrow, Jun 26, 2022.

1. KaptanJackSparrow

KaptanJackSparrow MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2022
    Hello

I'm new to the forms and I'm working on my first AMD build and I'm trying to get a copy of windows 7 on asus ROG Crosshair Extreme motherboard does anyone have any insight on this ?

New installation attempts make it up to the windows seven boot graphic and freeze. I'm trying to boot using UEFI with secure boot disabled. anyone have any insight on building installers for AMD systems ?

Yes I know windows 10 and 11 exist trying my best to pretend they were never made

2. mictlan

mictlan MDL Member

Nov 9, 2009
    I have Windows 7 working on a MSI B450 motherboard. X570 should also work.
    UEFI needs to be disabled and CSM enabled.
    All required (signed) chipset-drivers are available at winraid forums - Windows 7 section.

3. ExtremelyFancyUsername

Oct 17, 2018
    Ideally you should use Flashboot. You can use UEFI though, just leave CSM on.

If you don't want to buy or pirate Flashboot, you should make a updated image with the necessary drivers integrated in the install.wim and deploy it with something like WinNTSetup.

t. runs Windows 7 Enterprise on his ASUS C8DH+5950X. (which took three weeks of fuсking around to get right though, NEVER again. AMD can go suck it, i'm going with Intel/Nvidia next time around)

4. KaptanJackSparrow

KaptanJackSparrow MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2022
    "Flashboot" I was using Rufus with a usb nvme enclosure which was working very well on other hardware but this AMD build has me stumped

"pirate Flashboot" Yes *Nods head enthusiastically* :whistling:

you should make a updated image with the necessary drivers integrated in the install.wim and deploy it (trying to find those drivers which Asus doesn't seem to publish') i'm using Ntlite

not heard of this one till now "WinNTSetup"

Intel is just as bad too me 2 months on my laptop.

5. HSGB

HSGB MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I have a Asus X570 pro and a Ryzen 9 5900x and I simply cannot get Windows 7 to recognise the USB. I have tried every driver going but USB is dead. I can get them to install and Device Manager has them listed and working properly, but still no USB. It has really depressed me.

6. HSGB

HSGB MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    #8 HSGB, Nov 2, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    Cheers for that Raiderman. I find it all a bit hard to follow though. I would go out and buy a MSI board to get away from the spyware of Windows 10. I will go and have a read and see if an MSI board is the way to go.

Can you get the jist of what he is saying? If I purchased an MSI X570 mobo for my Ryzen 5900 C.P.U., is he suggesting that windows 7 will work on it and that the Asus motherboard BIOS is purposely flawed to prevent it working?

7. raiderman

raiderman MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2007
    #9 raiderman, Nov 3, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    From what I gather, he is able to report bugs to MSI, and they respond with fixes via the bios. He has tried contacting Asus about the same thing, but has been ignored.

"ASUS and gigbyte will A5 BSOD that need mod acpi.sys to fix. And ASUS not only A5 BSOS,its AHCI controller will code 12 error on win7/8/8.1/server2012/2012R2."

"Recommend MSI as always becasue I can contact MSI staff to report the BIOS bug and they will try to fix. I also found ASUS Gigabyte ASRock to report the BIOS bug, but they ignore me."

In short...it seems so. He has a screenshot of a Ryzen 9 7950x on a MSI B650 chipset board.

8. HSGB

HSGB MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Yes, that's the impression I am getting. I am not going down the B650 route though, I just want to get my X570 on Windows 7, I despise Win-10.

I am now thinking of purchasing the MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX, to go with my Ryzen AM4, that'll do me. He seems to think the MSI boards will work good as I cannot get the USB to work on my ASUS X570-PRO.

9. HSGB

HSGB MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Just to let it be known that I got my ASUS board up and running by using a "Gen-2" version of Win-7 Enterprise and then after installation, updated drivers in Device Manager, using Canonkong's Asus drivers. I did also purchasea an M.S.I. MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX board to install Win-7 on; that was simplicity itself and worked first time using the exact same method as used for the Asus board. Both boards now running sweet on X570S chipsets with Ryzen C.P.U.s.

10. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Good luck.
    Maybe eventually you guys will understand the difference between making windows 7's installer work and using windows 10 iso as container for a hacked-together windows 7 image.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. HSGB

HSGB MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Why so bitter?

And to be totally honest I could not really care, I would use a Windows 95 installer if it meant not having to use Windows 10, spyware.

Once again, thanks to Canonkong.

12. UsefulAGKHelper

UsefulAGKHelper MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2021
    Windows 10 installer is WinPE based on Windows 10, not the OS itself from install.wim/install.swm/install.esd.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. HSGB

HSGB MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Isn't it marvellous! I don't have 162 services running to open a 16 bit bitmap either.

14. raiderman

raiderman MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2007
    Im running Windows 7 on an MSI x670E mainboard, and to be honest I have had less trouble with that install, than I have had with the Windows 10 21h2 LTSC install that I dual boot to. Two drivers fail to install on the Windows 10 disk, While on Windows 7, I have two drivers that will not install, Coincidentally one of drivers (AMD bluetooth) will not install on either OS. Windows 7 is rock solid with this latest hardware.

15. mrnoody

mrnoody MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2019
    Asus ROG Crosshair Extreme motherboard is a top notch motherboard with features didn't exists on win7 (wifi6 10gb lan etc etc)
    u can manage usb drivers work via provided link on level un forums. 10gb lan don't know if there is specific driver, as well as Intel 2.5 lan.
    u can build custom windows 7 with windows 7 image updater in half an hour after learning how to. just follow sticky topic.
    ryzen itself will pass all sytetic tests working on win7.
    after this, just build custom power plan on high performance. with esu updates, u'll be fine untill at least 2024 autumn.

16. KaptanJackSparr0w

KaptanJackSparr0w MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2023
    Exactly why I bought it, if I'm going to go through all the effort of making a new system work with windows 7 I don't want to have to do it again for a while. so got the best I could find. I'm aware that some features may not work but I'm a stubborn one and will keep trying.

The system is working and I am getting more support with a lot of research, The intel Lan 2.5 Gb works just fine, Wifi6 and 10Gb Lan still don't work but it looks like there is some progress being made on that, the Graphics Bug mentioned earlier appears to have been a BIOS level bug that was resolved with an update that wasn't available at the time of posting. (I am the original Poster, I got locked out of my old account due to hard drive failure)

17. ExtremelyFancyUsername

Oct 17, 2018
    Another good board for Win7 is the MSI B550 Unify-X, i'm literally typing this from one while running the SimpliX Pack in the background lmao

Said board has a PS/2 port so even without drivers you should be able to install Win7 quite easily.

18. HSGB

HSGB MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Raiderman, I have been using Win 7 for a while now on the two boards I mentioned earlier using Canonkong's drivers and they are both really stable, light-weight and sharp as you like. The M.S.I. board was simple to set up. The Asus a little more trouble, but they are flying now. I don't use Bluetooth, all my stuff is hard wired so I do not care about that and have switched it off in the B.I.O.S.