Windows 7 on Dell machine

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by nakamori, Jul 22, 2010.

1. nakamori

nakamori MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2010
    Good Day everyone,

I have a question to ask, I'm not really good in technical in computing. Hope all the expertise can help me on this.

I have 3 Dell PC, 2 old, 1 new. The newly PC I purchase is come with Windows 7 Professional dvd and pre-activated by Dell. But when I use the Disc to install at another two older machines, they are require for activation. But I tried install into the new machine, it doesn't require for activation.

Actually I would like to check out, how is Dell recovery disc works? Are they detect the BIOS to determine the machine type?

How do I overcome this for my another 2 old machines, so I doesn't require for activation?

Thank you.

2. wuhoatu

wuhoatu MDL Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Windows 7 OEM will check whether your system has SLIC 2.1 Table or not. If SLIC 2.1 Table is present and loaded, 7 will be activated automatically. Otherwise (SLIC 2.0 or no SLIC Table), 7 will not be activated.

Your 2 old DELL PC does not have SLIC 2.1 table.

3. calpo

calpo MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    I think that your new Dell has BIOS SLIC 2.1 .... that's why it doesn't require activation with Dell Windows DVD. The Old ones have NOT BIOS SLIC 2.1 ... So it requires activation.

4. bluealien

bluealien MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
  5. nakamori

nakamori MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2010
    Dear All,

Thank you very much for providing me valueable information.

Sorry for asking stupid question,

1) What is SLIC table for?
    2) How to check whether my machine is it with SLIC table?
    3) Is it SLIC is build into BIOS?
    4) If I use Daz's Windows loader, is it consider legal or illegal?

Thank you

6. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Lets start by searching MDL Forum and google first.

Slic table is a table in bios used for offline activation.
    You can use SLIC dump toolkit.
    Yes it is.
    "illegal".

7. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. nakamori

nakamori MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2010
    Dear All,

Thank you very much for the reply.

Will try play around with the BIOS mod.

Thank you

9. bluealien

bluealien MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Just a friendly reminder. Although I myself consider a Bios mod as the best activation solution, there are some risks involved. Be sure to read the guides carefully and apply some caution. You can also check if there is a modded Bios available, that has been tested for your specific computer. IF there is none available, you can request for someone to do it for you at the bios mod request thread. Good luck to you.

10. shadowstep

shadowstep MDL Member

May 2, 2010
    I hope you literally do not meant 'play around', coz if you do, you're gonna end up with a corrupt BIOS which may prevent booting up, unless of course, you do everything as mentioned.