Windows 7 on old PC

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Sheep4ever, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Sheep4ever

Sheep4ever MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2014
    Hello, I have an 2005 IBM ThinkPad laptop (some slow 2gb ram, Intel 530 1.8ghz 1 core) and trying to make it run fast. Now I installed windows 7 starter how do you suggest to optimize it? Maybe there is some scripts for tweaking registry/other stuff. Which updates should I install? This laptop is used for M$ office and web browsing. (I can`t install linux on it because my mom using it and she uses few specific programs for work.)

2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    I'd use Windows XP Pro SP3 on that, IMHO.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Did you try to run these "specific programs" under Linux with Wine?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    To make it run better.... Your best bet, is go on ebay and find a used SSD that will fit it (Is it IDE or SATA ?). Crap, I found a fast used 60gb SSD on ebay for like $12, dropped it into a Netbook (slow as crap) and it made a world of difference. This will make the most noticeable difference, little tweaks here and there will help but, nothing like a SSD would do.

You could always look over services and disable stuff you don't need, this will help in performance on a older computer...

5. CMDReamer

CMDReamer MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2012
    Hi there, I'm using a newly installed Windows 7 Professional on a P4 2.8C GHz, 3 GB of RAM, and a Radeon 9200. I notice some delay sometimes, but works fine.

The main configuration I did was mainly on the graphic effects of windows, menus, shadows an so on. You can find that options on the Control Panel > System > Performance. Configure as you like.

Some services are not necessary if you don't use it on a LAN or WLAN. Try to check those too.

The option of using an SSD as its main HD can greatly improve it, I would recommend getting a new one though.

6. Captain Zilog

Captain Zilog MDL Junior Member

Feb 16, 2010
    XP will work best for you!

Get a disc from, say, TechTools.net, and use that, as 7 doesn't run real well on single cores with SLOW MEMORY..... I have a headless 1.6GHz laptop (busted/removed screen) with 4200 or 5300 memory that works OK for playing music/transcoding music, but that's decent memory speed!

Also, find the XP Cash Register registry entry to continue getting Windows Updates! (PM me if you need it!)

Avast AV with NO TOOLS (speed without all the crap), CCleaner and that's about it. Keep it lean, mean and clean!