Windows 7 partition (drive) don't showing up on Snow Leopard Build 10A432 64bit mode

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by minoverta, Aug 19, 2009.

1. minoverta

minoverta MDL Member

Jun 17, 2009
    #1 minoverta, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
    I found this:

-----------------------------------------------

• How to check Whether your Mac has the 32-bit EFI or 64-bit EFI :
    When you are reading this i m sure you understand that you can boot into full 64bit mode if your Mac has 64-bit EFI. Also note that Apple disabled 64-bit kernel support for any Macbooks, even with 64-bit EFI. So if you have an older Mac Pro, iMac and you wants to check Whether your Mac has the 32-bit EFI or 64-bit EFI just enter the following command in Terminal.

ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi

And you’ll get the answer either “EFI32″ or “EFI64.”
    • How to boot 64-bit Kernel by default at every boot : Though you have a EFI64 and 64-bit compatible Mac your install will boot into 32-bit kernel by default. Thanx to Netkas for highlighting a trick to change default boot kernel. All you have to do is edit a string file in com.apple.Boot.plist To edit boot.plist navigate to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and open the boot.plist with text editor and find the following string.

<key>Kernel Flags
    </key><string></string>

and change it to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86_64</string>

That’s it, now your installation will boot in to 64-bit kernel mode every time. So no more holding down the ‘6′ and ‘4′ keys during boot. Just in case if you need to boot the 32-bit kernel just hold down the ‘3′ and ‘2′ keys during boot.

------------------------------------------
    Check if you running in 32 or 64 bits kernel mode:

open Terminal and type "uname -a" (without quotes). It should return something that ends in either i386 (32-bit) or x86_64 (64 bit)
    ------------------------------------------

My Mac has 64-bit EFI

It works like a charm accept: everytime i boot into Snow Leopard "64-bit kernel" my Windows 7 partition (drive) don't showing up (no problem on the 32 bit-kernel), how can i solve this?

Anyone?????

Thanks in advance.

2. accolon

accolon MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    I'm just guessing here, but probably there is no NTFS kernel extension for the 64bit kernel of Snow Leopard (yet).

Does the volume show up in Disk Utility? Are you able to activate it there?

Btw, I think there is no advantage in using the 64bit kernel.

3. minoverta

minoverta MDL Member

Jun 17, 2009
    #3 minoverta, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
    (OP)

Thanks for your comment. Found it! I disabled my NTFS-3G prefpane (32-bit), for write permissions on my Windows 7 volume, and it's activated. Searching for another option to get write permissions on my Windows 7 Volume.