windows 7 permissions thing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Stunna, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Stunna

Stunna MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #1 Stunna, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
    doez anybody no how 2 disable this??

everytime u try 2 delete a file or a folder it asks 4 a permision nd u have 2 edit it 4rm the security tab nd take ownership 4 it nd so on ..

its so damn annoying

2. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Thats UAC, go to configuration settings and chose user then go to the last option ''settings for user account''. Turn it off at lowest level

3. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    english? Spell out your words son. Nobody has any idea what you are trying to say.

4. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    He means UAC

5. Stunna

Stunna MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    nope its not the UAC

disabled it the sec i installed win7

6. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    hmmmm other then that i dont know :eek:

7. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Wouldn't this depend on what type of files and folders your trying to delete. Example might be trying to delete a folder in program files rather than actually uninstalling it.

Anyway couldnt you just select the drive, go to properties and change the security permissions for yourself, or simply make yourself an administrator account.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    rightclickthefolderthenselectpropertiesclickthesecuritytabclickadvanceduncheckinheritpermissionsfromparentaddfullpermissionsforyouraccounthitokandthenyouardoneifthatdoesntworkthenthefileisinuseandyouwillhavetoloadupwindowspeanddeleteethefilefromwithinpeorsafemode

9. DKnight2066

DKnight2066 MDL Junior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Even with UAC disabled completely, I still got "permission" errors when trying to look/edit/delete/move anything in a system folder. This included the folder for the Administrator profile that I, as far as I know, -should- have been given full and unfettered access to.

Vista/Win7 don't see it that way however...

So to provide a short answer to your question: NO.

There is no way that I know of, at present, to simply unlock every folder on your HDD to do with as you please, without manually editing Permissions for each, AND taking Ownership of all folders and files therein.
    If anyone else here knows a shortcut to doing this that involves less hassle and clicks, I'd like to know the secret as well. :)

Makes me miss the days when "Administrator" accounts = 100% access to every folder on your HDD, no questions asked.

--DKnight

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Deggsy

Deggsy MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    #10 Deggsy, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    This reg file gives you a right click 'Take Ownership' option in the drop down menu:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    Save the code as a reg file and call it installTakeownership.reg

11. DKnight2066

DKnight2066 MDL Junior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Ask, and ye shall receive! Thanks alot for your post, I'll give this a try. :D

--DKnight

12. Stunna

Stunna MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #12 Stunna, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    how do i save it az a reg file ??

thx in advance

13. Deggsy

Deggsy MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    Copy the code, then open a new text file, paste the code into it and save as Installtakeownership.reg .
    Make sure it doesn't end up called Installtakeownership.reg.txt though. :)

14. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Wow lmao good one :D

15. searchengine

searchengine Guest

UAC/TakeOwnership

Seems no matter what steps you take to try to get full control doesn't work in Win 7.

You can move UAC slider to the bottom .... and right click on files and folders forever ... but as soon as you install a new program (even when installing as run as administrator) certain restrictions still apply....because your new install needs to create new folders that you haven't yet had the pleasure of right clicking to take ownership.

Many of the programs I have installed have missing shortcut icons in the the start menu ... as the system decides not to give permission for them to access all users start menu ..... and several uninstalls break due to not having permissions to remove files from whatever the system decides.

I am all for system security, but this is a joke, and ruins many installs/uninstalls.... and know doubt applies its same decisions to registry items.

This is the principal reason I have not jumped to Win 7 from Xp .... what should be a no-brainer decision to move to a fresh new o/s is just wasted with this so-called "security enhancement".

I think the UAC slider option ... and takeownership in right click are just for cosmetics ....... may as well not even be an option :D

16. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    I have never seen this with Vista or Windows 7 as long as you are an Admin and the installer is UAC aware or programmed right. Turning off UAC is only half of the equation you still have symlinks and TrustedInstaller permissions. Never have I had a program not install when Running As Admin. If shortcuts do not show up well that is the fault of an outdated installer trying to use lazy programming to insert shortcuts instead of using EVs.

There is no All Users Start Menu, this is a symbolic link anything that gets written to the start menu for everyone goes in programdata, which as long as the installer is written right will work. This could be a reason why you can't take permission of the folder is because it doesn't exist. As far as programs not being able to create folders unless they are trying to create a folder in a location that doesn't exist or is redirected to for instance the all users start menu and application data folders, then there is no issue creating a folder. UAC and TrustedInstaller have less permission and restrictions on things in 6.1 than they did in Windows 6.0.

I have installed over 1,000 different applications and programs on Vista and 7, and have NEVER encountered anything like you described here. No applications deciding to not install because it just doesn't want to. You ever both reading install logs or just give up because security is a joke and it just doesn't work. If an app doesn't install then open up an elevated command prompt and install from there, or install as the built in local admin account which doesn't have UAC enabled by default. You should read a MCITP: Enterprise Admin or Enterprise Support book to get a better understanding of this because your lack of knowledge on the subject is hurting you.

I just find your post impossible to believe because anyone who knows security and NTFS permissions knows that your post doesn't compute with the access levels and security of the Windows 6 kernel when leveraged right.