Windows 7 - phone activation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mkubik23, Aug 7, 2010.

1. mkubik23

mkubik23 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2010
    I've installed a Windows 7 Pro copy on DELL computer and have not used any offline activation. I've noticed that one of the options was to activate via the automatic service over the phone. I called the 800 number, provided the generated code from Windows 7, and it gave me a code back which activated my copy of Windows! :biggrin:
    Is this normal? Does that mean that any copy can be activated like that or Microsoft will eventually find out and block you?

2. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    that is weird sounds like a glitch

3. 91011

91011 MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2010
    Sounds as if you used an OEM:COA disk and the COA key from the underside of the Dell to install. That would require phone activation. A Dell OEM:SLP disk would have entered the embedded key and cert and would have done an off-line activation.

You should not have a problem in the future with it being genuine.

4. mkubik23

mkubik23 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have used a DELL OEM and took the key from underside of the laptop. But this still would not activate even though I entered an unregistered good key. Thats why I used that phone activation. Another question. If I used a DELL OEM and had a valid key from a DELL system, will that let me avtivate on nonDELL computer?

5. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    As 91011 already told, OEM:COA keys alsways have to be activated thru phone activation

6. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    No you can not activate that key on another brand, since you have to call in to activate, they will know if you using a Dell computer or not. But of course, you can try.....
    The OEM-SLP (not COA) keys is not brand spesific. But a COA key is something else.

7. 91011

91011 MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2010
    @mkubik23

There is something in your reply that doesn't make sense.

"Yes, I have used a DELL OEM [disc]"

If that were true, and your BIOS contains a SLIC 2.1, you would never have been asked to enter a key and would have done an off-line activation.

You might check the Sources folder of your install disk for a folder called $OEM$. Also, you can use MGADiag to see if there is a SLIC 2.1 in the BIOS. Run it, copy & paste into notepad and, near the bottom of the report, look for:
    Windows marker version: 0x20001

Interesting situation. Regarding using the key on a different machine, never tried it so have no idea if it would work.

8. Memnon

Memnon MDL Member

Feb 22, 2010
    That's not true!
    I have Win7pro OEM:COA Key and activated
    through internet 3 or 4 times.

9. ramses71

ramses71 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    I did the same.;););)

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #11 urie, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
    Three kinds of OEM Product Keys:

OEM SLP Keys:
    * OEM SLP (System-Locked Pre-installation) keys are only issued to the big manufacturers such as Dell, Asus, Sony, etc.

* These are the only keys that are able to bypass activation that is, perform offline activation without contacting Microsoft.

* They will work with any OEM SLP system, regardless of the OEM system's brand i.e. Product Keys are not brand specific.

OEM NONSLP Keys:
    * Similar to Retail, but distributed and supported by an OEM. Needs activation by phone or online and they are not brand specific. .

OEM COA Keys:
    * OEM COA keys (Certificate of Authentication) are regular OEM keys that require activation, either by phone or online and they are not brand specific.
    (you will find the sticker with the key underneath you Laptop or on the side of you PC)

* These keys will work in general same as Retail or Upgrade keys and can be used only once.

11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    It should be three ;)

BTW, what is OEM System Builder License?? Shouldn't it be included under OEM licensing??