Windows 7 Product Key Checker Question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bobwoz, Jan 24, 2010.

1. bobwoz

bobwoz MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
    I bought Windows 7 Pro during the student sale, and there was lots of talk about MS supplying the Full version, even though it was advertised as the Upgrade version.

So I've got this Win 7 Pro key, and I'm wondering if the PID Key Checker that's out there will tell me if it's an UPGRADE version. Right now it just says "Retail" Is it possible that it's the retail upgrade version? Or is it the full retail version?

I don't have a blank drive handy to install it and find out.

Thanks!

2. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    What's the difference? you have a valid key so you should be good (an upgrade can be installed as being retail)

3. kdo2milger

kdo2milger MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2010
    retail key upgrade/full is a valid key for either.

4. bobwoz

bobwoz MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
    I know all about the tricks to install to a bare drive with upgrade media.

I'm selling this key to someone as a FULL RETAIL key, not an upgrade key, based partly on the rumors that that's what MS was shipping on the student deal, and also based on what the PID checker says (Retail.)

So the question is, if the PID checker says "License Type = Retail" can I be assured that it's NOT an upgrade key?

Thanks!

5. kdo2milger

kdo2milger MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2010
    as far as i know there is now difference in upgrade/full product keys.

6. bobwoz

bobwoz MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
    Thanks for the reply, but there most certainly is a difference between a full product key and an upgrade key.

Does anyone have an upgrade key they could check with the PID checker and see what it comes up with? Now I'm more curious than anything.

Thanks!!

7. MasterHacker

MasterHacker MDL Junior Member

Dec 10, 2009
    You can try to enter the key in an install in virtual pc and if takes it during the install process it is a retail full key if not it is a retail upgrade key. No matter what you do don't activate it if you are going to sell it!

8. hiphopboy

hiphopboy MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2008
    The new keys from MSDNAA , it's for Student, it's limit the year ( about 2 - 4 years ) you can using, so... not good to using..

9. bobwoz

bobwoz MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
    Thanks, MasterHacker. That's what I wound up doing. The key in question is indeed an upgrade key, as the installer didn't like it when I entered it normally. Did the registry trick and it accepted it ok.

So, we now know that the PID Checker does *not* identify upgrade keys.

Might be good-to-have information for someone else.