Windows 7 professional to Windows 7 Ultimate OEM for system builders

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by chakotay2, Feb 22, 2011.

1. chakotay2

chakotay2 MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2010
    I'm trying to go from a trial copy of windows 7 enterprise to windows 7 ultimate for system builders.

A website called addictive tips has a windows downgrader which seems to work well with retail versions of windows 7 but not sure if I buy a windows 7 oem for system builders (ultimate version) if it will work correctly and activate.

Yeah I know about bios mods, etc. This is for a business customer and it would be super to use a bios mod. I am just looking to switch him from enterprise (I was dumb and installed this thinking it was professional) to ultimate.

I know this is possible with a retail version of ultimate (using the windows downgrader on addictive tips website) but just not sure how the oem key will change anything. I need this to be a legit copy of windows (again, its for a business).

Any help? (yeah I know I can reformat, I am looking to avoid that).

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    To "upgrade" from Enterprise to Ultimate you could try using the "Downgrade via registry edits" mode that someone detailed here in the forums some time back.

Basically you launch regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Change "Edition" from "Enterprise" to "Professional"
    Similarly change the "ProductName" from "Windows 7 Enterprise" to "Windows 7 Professional"

Then you need to immediately do an "Upgrade" install of the same edition you just changed it to.

Get it activated in the normal way, then use an ultimate key to do an Anytime Upgrade from there.

3. chakotay2

chakotay2 MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2010
    At that point will a Ultimate OEM for system builders key work? (not branded like Dell, HP, but generic OEM for system builders [like from newegg])

(without reformat)

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes it will work

5. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Hmmm. That looks familiar :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. chakotay2

chakotay2 MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2010
    Thanks! I appreciate the info. I was just worried about passing the activation check.

7. zmalk

zmalk MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2011
    thank you very much