Windows 7 restart function

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Trisomedd, May 3, 2010.

1. Trisomedd

Trisomedd MDL Novice

May 3, 2010
    Greetings all,

Have a HP D530 machine with a fresh install of Windows 7 ultimate. No prblems with the install, no other software or added hardware stock standard machine etc. Problem is the restart function just does not want to work. Startup from off works no problem but say after an update and a restart is needed the machine starts and hangs just before windows starts loading. Any ideas tried just about everything. Have had this problem even before any updates applied.

Have tried new, different ram.....

Cheers

2. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Check your bios and see if there is an option to force an update of - now this is bad but I can't remember what it is but it is a setting that forces an update of DMI Pool ? upon reboot and then this setting is turned off automatically next reboot - I can't remember as I do not want to turn off and reboot to find the setting in my BIOS or if I am remembering something from an older board.

Anyway - updating what ever setting it is may fix the problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Trisomedd

Trisomedd MDL Novice

May 3, 2010
    Ok thanks Rosco I give it a go and report.....

4. kristain

kristain MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2010
    It seems to be a driver problem. Check for newer drivers. Also, it would be good to know what applications were running when the restart was done.

5. mickyjim

mickyjim MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2009
    Had a similar problem caused by a external USB hard disc drive booted perfectly when it wasnt connected, may be worth a shot

6. chrish4161

chrish4161 MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    Well your problem seems like evrybody who have W7 in their laptop. That is not a big issue. You have to just chack the BIOS settings and if all the things are proper then I think you have some booting related problem which is same before updation and after updation. So if nothing is heppened then format the PC and then try it again.

7. Trisomedd

Trisomedd MDL Novice

May 3, 2010
    Greetings all,

Rosco, checked the bios and low and behold there is no facility to allow/update the DMI/ESCD data. I feel this is the best lead so far but can't do because of hardware limitation, any further ideas appreciated.

Thanks to others that have given suggestions but suggesting not to have USB things connected is great but my origianal post states it is stock standard nothing extra plugged in (or similar), no other software just a clean install of Windows 7. Have installed it a couple of times still the same result.

Thanks all.

8. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    You could try loading BIOS defaults - remembering anything crucial you have set such as RAID - and see if that corrects it - it might simply be some change you didn't intend to make.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Trisomedd

Trisomedd MDL Novice

May 3, 2010
    Yep tried that...... still no go so to speak.

10. bluealien

bluealien MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    You could try uninstalling the graphics/video driver and reinstall. Don't just update it, uninstall it from device manager and then reinstall the one you have or better yet the latest from the manufacturer. Also, take note of any program that takes longer than usual to terminate when you shut down. Often Windows will pop up a notice on shut down saying that it is waiting for programs to close and will give you the option to close it 'forcefully".

11. Trisomedd

Trisomedd MDL Novice

May 3, 2010
    After doing some research, probably been a HP machine they have hidden/locked down the extra bios features such as update dmi/escd pool. Any hints as to unhiding the extra bios features, have been searching for days but no luck....

12. Trisomedd

Trisomedd MDL Novice

May 3, 2010
    After resetting cmos, updating cmos, different video card and memory, computer still hangs after a restart. Keeping in mind if starting from scratch no problems. Searched and searched some have same problem but still no answers. Anyone got any idea?

13. janzen

janzen MDL Junior Member

Sep 7, 2009
    A few weeks ago I installed Windows 7 on my 3rd d530SFF that so far had WinXP OS.
    To my surprise the Restart Problem that I have on my 2 other similar PC's (Windows7 as well) is absent.
    The bios version of this one is the much older (2004) 2.50, the others have both the more recent (2008) 2.44
    Now I wonder if this biosversion matter has anything to do with the restart problem.
    On the other hand I am reluctant to switch back to an older version just to see if it makes a difference...
    It is not too much of a nuisance..

14. TGNT

TGNT MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Check the memory (memory slot could be damaged...)
    Try different harddrive.

15. Trisomedd

Trisomedd MDL Novice

May 3, 2010
    Janzen, I did originally have bios version 1.11 upgraded to version 2.43a still the same restart problem. Is your bios a locked HP version or similar? Not much of a nuisance at this point but it is now a challenge/mission.....

TGNT, Have tried various mem configurations, I would think if it was a damaged slot it would effect from a cold start as well also have tried different hard drives.....