Windows 7 Restore Help

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cplmckenzie, Dec 27, 2009.

1. cplmckenzie

cplmckenzie MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2009
    I recently bought an Acer Aspire with Windows 7 Preinstalled (no disk supplied with

new laptop).

Unfortunately my broadband modem did not work with it and I learned from the

manufactuer that they would not make driver for the model that I owned and had to

buy another ($189.00) model.

So, I decided to install a dual operating system on the acer. One Win7 another XP3.

So I went in the cmos and changed the hd type from sata to ide, in order to install

XP.

After the XP install, on boot only one OS option showed up - XP.

So I attempt to restore the preinstalled Windows 7 which is still on the hd.

The restore works fine up to a point.

Then it needs some system dll's and it cannot located the ones from Win7 \system32

folder and looks in the XP \system32 folder and they are not compatible with the

Win7 OS.

The Win7 restore asks for a couple files in particular.

Does anyone know which files I need to fully restore Win7, and where I can get them

without having to go and buy the Win7 installation disk ($199.).

It seems that I will be out $200 buck either way.

Is there a hack to fix my acer with both OS.

cplmckenzie

2. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #2 HotCarl, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
    Why don't you just download a Win7 .iso that is for the version on your laptop...and use that to put the missing files back? :D

If your PC came with Win7 on it, it should have a SLIC 2.1 enabled BIOS. I would check it first to be sure that it is with Everest, or the SLIC dump toolkit... But anyway, you *should* be able to install any version of Win7 on that laptop you want, you just have to locate the certificates that correspond to your system....and use a SLP key from the SLP keys thread...

EDIT: Just be sure you locate the proper certificate for your system. You could have extracted them if your Win7 was running properly, but now you will have to locate them somewhere on the 'net. I would do a forum search, or a google search for certificates for the vendor of your laptop... An Acer certificate should not be hard to find. :)

3. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    As above - get and burn a Win7 DVD. If you want both XP and Win7 you have to install XP first - Win 7 knows about XP and will add it to the bootmanager - XP simply writes its boot code to the MBR - this can be fixed but you need to start the repair option from the pre-install environment - I don't know if you can enter this from the recovery option of your laptop but if you can it will allow for XP to be added to the bootmanager but it sounds like you have gone past this by trying an unsuccessful restore.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. cplmckenzie

cplmckenzie MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2009
    Where to download .iso

Is there a url download the win7 .iso from.

I am not to advanced. What is a SLP key

5. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    #5 alextheg, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. cplmckenzie

cplmckenzie MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2009
    Thx alextheg,

The Win7 guide I will begin there, and try a fix as I understand the method.

Thx for pointing me in right direction..

Errrr..... will be in touch:eek:

7. cplmckenzie

cplmckenzie MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2009
    Windows 7 restore question

So, is this SLP key (PID)
    the same as the prod id number?

thx

8. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #8 Rosco, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  9. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

He has an ACER, that came with 7. No loader, just install acer cert and key.

10. cplmckenzie

cplmckenzie MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2009
    Thx To All

Just wanted to take a min and thank you guys.

Window Ultimated installed and validated.

Your rep power is highly under rated.

So does this validation with the loader means that it will pass the genuine advantage check for m$ downloads

Regards,

I swear eternal loyalty to you all:cool: