Windows 7 RTM Updates x86 & x64

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SaScH, Aug 27, 2009.

1. SaScH

SaScH MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2009
    #1 SaScH, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. Stormcrow

Stormcrow MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #2 Stormcrow, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    #3 burfadel, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
    Simple answer is, if you don't want them don't install them!

Windows updates won't be available until 22 October (unless this changes). Not all of the currently available updates will be on Windowsupdate (WU) for the simple fact that Microsoft doesn't put anything but major software and security releases on there. For example, since Vista SP2 there are well over 100 post SP2 updates (at least 150, I'm not getting them anymore). Thats not including hotfixes for different problems that may update the same files to later versions!

The point of that statement is, some of the already available updates are hotfixes and will never show on WU. They're not bad to have! The main reasoning behind not releasing every update is there's usually a couple each day, and I can't imagine people tolerating the continual download cycle to keep up to date. When Windows 7 is released officially, aka 22 Oct, Microsoft will have to be very choosey what they include on WU. People simply won't tolerate having to download too many updates on a just released piece of software.

So for the argument of 'to install or not to install', I say install :) there are already noticeable fixes to RTM, the boot logo for one (minor, but quite noticeable), seemingly slightly better system kernel tuning (hard to tell, but widely reported), and the most important reason... you like to experiment and try out new things.

Now, if you don't agree with the last thing in that list, why the f*** have you installed Windows 7 already in the first place? A pretty dumbass move if you aren't willing to try different things.

The positive thing about doing so is when 22 Oct comes around, you can make a fresh install of Windows, using the updates you desire from your experiences in this period now which can only be described as a 'test' period and have that perfect system that you sound like you are striving for now, but rest assured, you will never reach perfection without trial and error.

If error scares you, again, dumbass move installing an operating system before its released, with no hope of official updates for 2 months that could potentially have nagging issues or problems that unless you use these updates available now you have no hope in resolving.

Simple :)

4. dlonra

dlonra MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    Thanks !!!

Nothing but a BIG thank you.

These are also automatic installers like the one from SlimShady ? Or is the first package the same ? Earlier this week other downloads appeared (no package). Are these also in package 2 ?

5. SaScH

SaScH MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2009
    pack 1 and 2 are not the same!

6. Stormcrow

Stormcrow MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Let me take your points one by one..

"Simple answer is, if you don't want them don't install them!"
    I'm perfectly aware of that, thank you!

"Windows updates won't be available until 22 October "
    That's simply not true.
    Windows update is already handing out updates for win7.

"Not all of the currently available updates will be on Windowsupdate"
    Indeed. And why do you think that might be?
    Perhaps because they relate so specific scenarios that don't apply generally?

"most important reason... you like to experiment"
    Well, no, thank you, I don't: not on my main machines.
    As per my answer to point 1.
    OK fot test systems.

"They're not bad to have!"
    That's 'proof by assertion'. How do you know?
    Hotfixes usually have a caveat thet they are to fix the specific reported problem,and that they have not been fully regression tested. If a fix has general applicability,and is fully regression tested, it will usually be on WU.

"why the f*** have you installed Windows 7 already "
    How terribly polite of you.
    Beacuse it's not experimental now: it' RTM. Cast in stone.
    The bits I have are exactly as per a MSDN download.
    I choose to install the same updates that a legit MSDN subscriber would get.

"A pretty dumbass move"
    I disagree for the reasons stated above.

"when 22 Oct comes around, you can make a fresh install of Windows,"
    Why should anyone need to do that? If I simply install RTM and accept WU, I'll be in 100% the same position as any legit user on that date.

" If error scares you, again, dumbass "
    Error does not scare me.
    I chose to install win 7 on my *main* machine *after* RTM.
    I don't see the error there.

I ask again: What is the benefit to installing updates of unknown necessity when the same updates are not on WU?

I can't see a single benefit.
    What exactly is the benefit?

--
    SC

7. winwatcher

winwatcher MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    @ Stormcrow you say(quotes):
    ""most important reason... you like to experiment"
    Well, no, thank you, I don't: not on my main machines.
    As per my answer to point 1.
    OK fot test systems."

"I chose to install win 7 on my *main* machine *after* RTM."

So, which is it? On main machine or experimental machine?

Win7 has been released to RTM.

If it is on a test machine what is the problem? Install the updates and experiment. Even if it is on your main machine, a good backup fixes anything very quickly. Try a few things youself and you will not have to ask questions and get replies that you may not appreciate or you may consider uncomplimentary.

" If error scares you, again, dumbass How terribly polite of you." is a little out of context. Please read burfadel's reply again.

All that said and done, I do believe that some of burfadel's choice of words could have been been a little more selective.

Hoever, he did give a good responce to your question.

Also, thank you SaScH for the updates.

8. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    I was deliberately a little harsh with my choice of words for a reason :) The updates that are already on WU aren't really the updates I were referring to! Windows Defender or language packs aren't really updates in the classic WU sense, the 'classic' updates (aka software and security fixes) won't be available until around or just before 22 October.

Whether you like it or not, this time now is still a test period. It takes a while for all the disks to be printed and the OEM's the prepare the final systems which is why it is a couple of months before it is officially released. In this time, security and last minute software updates can be prepared but not released as we have found out since they aren't on WU.

If security concerns you, or the possibility of reliability issues, then having Windows 7 installed already isn't a good idea, simple as that. Having it available for download via MSDN is more of a network administrators thing, since the common person doens't have access to those download resources. It gives times for companies to TEST the operating system on some of their computers in order to gauge compatibility with their current software and to see whether it suits their needs.

I'm sure there are many others that would love to comment on your question, but can't think of the words to best convey politely what they think!

9. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    ...a description of what is contained in each pack would be nice.

10. Ra1d

Ra1d MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    On my WU(Windows 7 Pro N),I have optional updates,and updates that you must install,i installed the one that was a must and 1 of the optionals...

So i think this time they put up everything,and you will be choosing what to install and what not.

Not that i don't appreciate what you are doing :)