Windows 7 running too fast

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Reubenwelsh, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Reubenwelsh

Reubenwelsh MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    Hi there,

Proberbly one of the wierdest problems that will pop up on these forums, but has anyone here had the trouble that windows 7 runs too fast?

Most of the time it runs fine, but every now and then (2 times today and once yesterday) The computer enters lightspeed and becomes unusable.

My cpu usage goes to 100% and my clock starts spinning like crazy, (about 1min ever 2 seconds).

On the other side, ive since last week have the problem of windows reaaaaaaally slowing down... but only some parts of the operating system.

I can keep copying over too my nas at 10mb/s and i can type ect, but as soon as i move any windows around ect system goes down to about 2 fps.

System is more then good enough to run windows 7.

AMD opteron 2.4ghz
    4gb of ram
    Radeon x1950XT
    brand new 1.5tb hdd
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Would be great if anyone had any ideas i could try. Dont really feel like reinstalling since ive only just got the system running again after having trouble getting my 7.1 system working.

Cheers

2. TVTVTV

TVTVTV MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    #2 TVTVTV, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
    I've come across a fast-running-clock situation on a Vista 64 (completely original - bought copy, untouched) computer some 2 months ago. The computer would boot up and everything under Vista, including the clock, ran like crazy. I did a fast check of the Real-Time Clock in the BIOS, everything was normal. After a reinstall of Vista, as everything was still running at warp speed, i started stripping unnedeed hardware off the PC. I managed to finally narrow it down to a sound card, M-Audio me thinks. Funny thing is that after a little fiddling with the sound card - eject from slot/power on/shutdown/insert into slot/power on, it ran just fine.
    I say you do the same - strip all unnedeed HW off the PC and see if the problem still occurs.

P.S. - It had nothing to do with the drivers, it was strictly a HW related problem.

3. Reubenwelsh

Reubenwelsh MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    thanks, i might give it a try if the problem persists and nobody has any ideas, i dont really have my unneeded hardware in my computer, just a Creative X-FI card and dvd rom if that counts as unneeded :)

Oh well ill wait a bit and see if any windows 7 users have the same problem.

Thanks for the reply!

4. Bagheera

Bagheera MDL Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I've seen this only on a emulated system from the 80 's running on todays hardware.. lol ask MS about win7..... has it emulated win 3.1?

But in win7 i never seen that before....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Stool

Stool MDL Junior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Check your running processes. Ctrl alt del

6. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    I would do one of two things. Either do a system restore back to a point where this was not happening or use your Win7 install disc to do a startup repair. Hopefully one of these two actions may solve your problem. Have you installed any new apps that could have messed around with your OS ? If so uninstall them. Good luck. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Reubenwelsh

Reubenwelsh MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    Tried that, just explorer using as much cpu as it can thats unusual.

:/

8. t0mn8r

t0mn8r MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Dude,
    Find out what it is, replicate it and make lots of $ lol

9. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    #9 Lenmaer, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
    I think it's same problem with some vmware version.
    Your OS cannot manage to read your bios processor speed setting so it cannot sync with it. That's why it runs at random speed.
    Have you tried to update your bios recently (if possible) to see if it change?

10. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009

or you can puch Ctrl shift esc and skip that stupid stuff

11. Reubenwelsh

Reubenwelsh MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    Im afraid i have the newest version avalible :(

12. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Just because a vendor put's out a new bios update does not mean you need to update it. Make sure you read what the update was for or what it fixed. Most of the time you won't need to flash it to the newest unless your having issues with the current bios.

13. -_-_-_

-_-_-_ MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2009
    #13 -_-_-_, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
    Yes I have exactly the same problem using programs like advanced proces explores. I have discovered that it is a problem with postponed system interrupets (this proces is inside smss.exe so if you look in taskmaneger you dont see the high cpu usage thats why I use an advanced system explore like proces hacker) . It goes from 0.25 % proccesor usage to 80-90 % After that programs are going very slow and its not possible to shut windows down it said closing.... (dont stop).So you have one option and that is to reset the system. Really strange is that some times you have it after hours and other times after a few minutes the problem appear.
    If there is a way to see what happen in system interrupts we can maybe find the reason.

Question for the topic starter I think is something with the audio driver Its to long to explain why i think that.But the question for you is are you using realtek driver 2.33

14. W7advanced

W7advanced MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    I have seen a problem with a faulty gadget. Maybe you can check this also ?

15. -_-_-_

-_-_-_ MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2009
    #15 -_-_-_, Oct 3, 2009
    I have two gadgets running top proces and that other cpu usage thing from microsoft I will shut them down so I can see if that is the problem.

Ook Nederlands goed zo!

Also Dutch good !

16. TVTVTV

TVTVTV MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Reubenwelsh, by "unneeded hardware" i was reffering to any hardware that is not necessary for the computer to boot up. It's standard procedure in computer troubleshooting to fire the system up with only the MB, CPU, RAM and video card and if the problem goes away, to add the rest of the HW one by one and test after each addition until you find the culprit. :)

17. Kikoo

Kikoo MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #17 Kikoo, Oct 3, 2009
    Intel Chipset?
    What driver have you installed for the device "High Precision Event Timer" (hardware ID: PNP0103)?
    The default driver from Microsoft or the one from Intel and which version?

18. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    Have you updated your video card driver to the most recent drivers?

19. Reubenwelsh

Reubenwelsh MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    The rest of the hardware is the soundcard in my case :)

20. Reubenwelsh

Reubenwelsh MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    Yes im afraid i have the newest ati driver. And it didnt help with older ones :(