Windows 7 Safely Remove Hardware Issue?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by InEvX, Oct 28, 2009.

1. InEvX

InEvX MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I don't know if anybody else is getting this issue, but everytime I try to eject any media, such as an external hard drive or a microSD card, nothing happens.

When I click Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media, nothing happens aside from DisplayDeviceObjectProvider.exe popping up in my task manager.

Right before I restart my computer or use task manager to end the process, it'll pop up in the corner again for my options. When I click "Open devices and printers", a window pops up which is going to "Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers" and nothing shows up. It takes a minute to load and still nothing shows.

I also reinstalled Windows 7 again and it was fine yesterday and then it happened again today.

Hopefully someone knows how to fix this problem?

2. Tripa

Tripa MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I would uninstall any software or drivers you installed, to see if any of those is the cause...

3. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    If this happens with ALL external media (read : sdcards as well as hdd's)
    then it probably won't be caused by their drivers, as they use different ones, and they won't be causing the same errors simultaniously.

So it could be some software app you've installed, like a graphic tool or some app that loads a service that's hogging up these devices.

Question : did you check your bios if the option "plug and play os" is selected ?
    Normally not that important, but u should check anyway.

And like Tripa said, uninstall anything that u think could be the culprit, and then reinstall one by one to try and identify the one.
    But i would look in the direction of any third party software you're using.

4. InEvX

InEvX MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    lol, I think some registries or something is damaged. Uninstalled pretty much everything except firefox lol.

I guess I should reinstall windows 7 again?

5. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    did you try ccleaner or similar app to clean the registry ?

it tends to fix a lot of registry issues...

and ideal now that you have allmost nothing installed...

give it a go before reinstalling ;)

6. InEvX

InEvX MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Fixed!!

I just wanted to say thank you guys for the help :).

I reinstalled windows 7 and installed stuff one by one. Everything seemed fine until I installed Auslogics Boostspeed. Apparently when it tries to clean my registry, it's also deleting a file for Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media software thing.

Gah, I loved that program :(!!

Have fun all :D

7. arfett

arfett MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2008
    I'm having this same problem after a fresh install of Windows 7 on my laptop. I have not installed any registry cleaners or performance "enhancing" software on this computer and I can not safely remove my USB thumb drive.

8. night.fox

night.fox MDL Member

Sep 21, 2009
    so strange i had this problem last night up to some time a while ago. CCleaner have been installed and from my understanding, no update or whatever i have done or installed...

But before this happens, I have been playing with XP mode and put the
    auto integration in manual... i will try to put but on auto start again and see what happens...

9. arfett

arfett MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2008
    So epic. The button wasn't working today after turning on my computer. After simply running firefox and doing some web browsing I tried it one more time and it magically started working again and remains working after a reboot. I doubt firefox fixed the problem so this probably fixed itself somehow.

10. DeeBee

DeeBee MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2011
    Can this be the solution your looking for?

[FONT=&amp]Someone called Eric Choy posted this solution. And it helped already a lot of people. Also me BTW.
    [/FONT]
    http
    ://blog.notfaqs.com/2009/10/win7-safely-remove-hardware-and-eject.html

[FONT=&amp]Win7: Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media does not work
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Problems:[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    The 2nd day after upgrading to Windows 7, I noticed the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media has stopped working. I click on its tray icon but nothing happened (a device list suppose to pop-up). If you have Task Manager open, you should see DeviceDisplayObjectProvider.exe is launched after clicking on the tray icon. And if you kill that process, an empty device list will pop-up.

Besides that, Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Devices and Printers will not load as well.

Solution:
    Ensure Bluetooth Support Service is running (even you do not use Bluetooth!)

By default, the Bluetooth Support Service should be running. But I manually disabled it for optimization which caused the problems...

1. Start -> Run
    2. Type in services.msc, and press ENTER
    3. Scroll to Bluetooth Support Service, right-click -> Start
    4. At this point, the safely remove hardware should be working again.
    5. Restart your pc and Devices and Printers should load correctly as well. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Posted by Eric Choy [/FONT]