Windows 7 Service Pack 3

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tvolad, Apr 21, 2011.

1. tvolad

tvolad MDL Novice

Apr 17, 2011
    I dont know how, but my Windows 7 installation says Service Pack 3 in the Computer Properties.

Windows 7 Ultimate
    Service Pack 3

But in System Information it still says Build 7600.

And so I am unable to install SP1 as it says a more recent version of service pack is installed.
    Why does it say SP 3 and how do I fix it so I am able to install SP 1?

Thanks

2. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #3 kubato, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
    I do not know where you got your system but, several out of China and that area had this problem.
    If you look into your registry you will see the problem:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\CSDBuildNumber
    Now, there are several keys that you will need to fix but, there might be other area too, I am not exactly sure and if this is a hack then a reinstall might be your best bet. I am looking at a x64 Windows 7 and under the currentVersion folder are serveral keys that can cause you issues but, mostly they just moded the CSDVersion which should say Service Pack 1, I tried changing this to Service Pack 3 and it was changed back to SP1 on reboot so it has to be another key in this folder, my CSDbuildnumber is 1130 and my CurrentBuild and CurrentBuildNumber is 7601. My CurrentVersion is 6.1
    I would think you best bet is to go to a friends house that has a build like yours x32 or x64 and export this all the keys in CurrentVersion (not the sub folders) and import it to yours but, remember no warrenty comes if you screw something up, I take no blame. I am just trying to offer a quick fix for free.

3. tvolad

tvolad MDL Novice

Apr 17, 2011
    :)
    no problemo kubato
    I already tried what u have with the csd build.
    But the whole folder... I really dont want to screq it up to the point it wont boot ;)

4. tvolad

tvolad MDL Novice

Apr 17, 2011
    Can I do a repair Install with a Windows 7 with SP1 disc?
    Will that work?

5. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #6 kubato, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
    There is nothing in that folder that will screw up your system as far as I can tell but,......no promises
    If you look at the data in that folder there are only two items that could have issues.
    If it will not boot you can used the f8 and last know good bootable in the bootloader. All that does is take a backed up registry and replace the current one. So if the folder issue causes issues it can be repaired this way....
    As far as a repair install, Windows 7 does not really have a repair install like xp had. What Win7 does is to rename the original win7 folder to oldwindows and does a clean install. It will give you access to all you old data but, you will have to reinstall all you programs and possibly move the old user account to the new user account.
    I just looked at that folder again and there are only two DigitalProductID and DigitalProductID4 that would cause problems. Get your friend to export the working folder and then save the orginal make a new called modxxx or whatever then just delete by edit before you install or merge the two Digital keys and then merge and see what that does.
    If no change then move the whole folder, but, what you do is you own. I am just trying to help and give no guarantee and am not an expert my any means.
    ====== new stuff ===
    I just did some reading and found that the key to be change should be CSDBuildNumber to 1130. If you delete the key CSDBuilNumber completely it will put you back to Windows 7 with no service pack. On a new Win7 install (no sp) this key does not exist.... I also imagine you can delete the CSDVersion key too.

6. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I screwed up, you only want the keys under the CurrentVersion folder not any of the sub folders.