Windows 7 Setup Hangs

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by colinzim, Feb 8, 2010.

1. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
    I modded an Award bios with HP slic 2.1 and after flashing Windows 7 freezes at the first blue setup screen.
    - removed cmos battery
    - set bios defaults
    I can run setup Windows 7 in the same machine before it is flashed and installs no problem. I flashed it back to original bios and still setup hangs.
    Win XP installs perfectly with modded bios

2. fubar121

fubar121 MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2009
    Possible bad media? mabye I ran into that with vista a while back.

3. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    It can be. Burn another DVD in the slower speed possible and try to install again.
    Another possibilty is corrupted files, from where you grab your windows? Trusted source is essencial.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Animeniac

Animeniac MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2008
    #4 Animeniac, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
    I get the same problem as well, with both 7 and 2008R2. The setup hangs at the first screen for about 5-10min (no activity on the HDD or DVD). Then after selecting Install it will hang again for ~5min. After that it's smooth sailing. On both my desktops it hangs, but my laptop doesn't. I only use untouched/verified ISOs.

Just curious, what brand of motherboard do you have? Both of mine are Gigabyte.

5. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
    My Bad

I fixed the problem. The floppy must be disabled in the bios options !
    I was wondering if there is a way to change install .dll's to give verbose setup ?

6. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    My wife is already verbose, wonder if there are any dll's I can hack to shut her up???

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    One little thing I noticed after putting windows 7 on several machines. Sometimes (Like in my friends case) will need to update your bios first before installing or it will hang randomally. Another thing I noticed is that on some older computers(Ones that came with Vista OEM) will install fine but will take awhile to start for whatever reason. I am not sure on that but I know bios updates/hardware options can contribute to this kind of issue.

8. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
  9. diluxp

diluxp MDL Junior Member

Nov 8, 2007
    It could be because of motherboard as it may not be windows 7 compactible. especially if you have a jmicron ide controller with ide drive

10. The Progen

The Progen MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    Check whether APIC is enabled in your BIOS. That was the cause of my system not being able to enter Windows 7 or reinstall it after a reboot. What I had done was to reset the BIOS settings to their default prior to flashing it with a modded one. Didn't occur to me that the default APIC setting for my Zotac motherboard was Disabled. Plus it was at the bottom of a page which required scrolling so I didn't bother to check at first.

With APIC disabled, I could still install Windows XP or Vista but not 7 so do a check for it.