Windows 7 - shutdown, log off, restart not working

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gd48202, Apr 4, 2014.

1. gd48202

gd48202 MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2011
    I am having a problem on my desktop where I am unable to shutdown, logoff or restart windows 7 64bit. The buttons are showing up, but when I press any of those buttons, it is as if I did not click anything. I have run superantispyware, malware bytes anti malware, tdss, but did not have any issues. I have run sfc /scannow but did not find any issues to repair. I have tried running the shut down command directly from the command prompt and it will not shutdown from there either. I also cannot shutdown the command prompt using the x in the upper right hand corner, I have to type in exit to close the command prompt. I have created a new user profile and the problem follows the user profile. I have even tried going to a previous restore point without luck. I have also tried shutting down apps and processes individually and trying to shutdown without any luck.

If anyone can give me some suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gd

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    does ALT+F4 at the desktop bring up the shutdown dialog? try from there if can

3. gd48202

gd48202 MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2011
    Alt F4 does not work at all.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You could go to Power Settings (in Control Panel) and change settings, special for what the Power Button will do. Set the Power Button to switch off and check that!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...