Windows 7 slow performance issue in notebook!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ar_seven_am, Feb 14, 2011.

1. ar_seven_am

ar_seven_am MDL Senior Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Well this is strange case, , but I get shocked when I install windows 7 x64 in notebook (acer 4540) with 4GB ram, 2,3 GB AMD Turion 520 Dual Core, 320 GB WDC SATA HDD, the performance are slow (for this I rate 3 becuz it really slow), even with tweaked setting, also optimized the startup, oh I almost forgot, pointer error, sometimes it jump suddenly even we didn't move it, with keyboard error too but I manage to turn off the num lock n it normal again.

It totally different when I installed it in my desktop pc, well is it an old pc, the specs is 3 GB ram, 1,8 GHZ Intel Dual Core processor, Gigabyte GA-945P-DS3 mobo, with 160 GB Seagate SATA HDD, also updated from solor updated pack n the pc run smooth, with some tweaks from the registry in this forums it really nice (well I rate with 8).

If we compare, the specs from the notebook n the pc we will know the notebook specs are higher, but what I really dont understand, why the performance are slow? Does anyone have this issue?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pierrejaquet

pierrejaquet MDL Member

Jan 14, 2010
    #2 pierrejaquet, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
    mmm interesting. Did you try with win 7 x86 ? Did it make any difference ? This way we can know if the problem is related to the x64 version and narrow down the possible causes of such problem.

3. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    are you using the latest drivers and bios?

4. ar_seven_am

Mar 7, 2010
    No, it's not make any differences n I dont think it's related since 32 bit version only read max ram below 4 GB (actually it will detect 3,25 GB if we choose 32 bit).

Yes I have n it's not becuz of that, anyway latest release bios of Acer Aspire 4540 is 19 Jan 2010 (v1.05) so I didn't outdated for this!

Anyway, I wanna ask u guys, do u enable sata mode for example in Acer Aspire 4540 is AHCI mode/not IDE when installing Windows 7? I think it's becuz of that, I wanna test that but I might have to reinstall again, :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    windows 7 supports AHCI right out of the box and you should be using it for best performance

6. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    only need to do that if you have an existing installation and want to convert to AHCI.... otherwise for a fresh install, turn AHCI on in the bios and then just install 7.... it will automagically load the right drivers :)

7. ar_seven_am

Mar 7, 2010