windows 7 strange problem with startup

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kaos420, Feb 11, 2012.

1. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    so i have a dell studio 1558. to say its been problematic is a understatement. its just over a yr old. as of late twice now over the past few months. i will be on the laptop. all of the sudden it just shuts down like i hit shutdown button. then will try to reboot and fails. will run startup repair but never repairs. i always have to go into my windows 7 cd or a startup cd. do cmd promps and restore the bootsector. after this it boots fine. the time before the last time. i went as far as to restore my factory recovery image. redoing all my programs and anytime upgrade to windows 7 64 bit ultimate from there. this time i just fixed the boot sector. what is causing this? is my hd about to fail? do i need to do a full wipe removing dells factory image and just do a clean full install? its really starting to be annoying. i have 2 other machines running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. none of the experience these issues.

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    ofcource your other installations don't have this issue, it's not even related to 7 afterall, better check the hdd with chkdsk, if your bootsector/bootloader gets corrupted all the time there might be firmware issue on the hdd or its falling apart and has to be replaced.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kaos420

Jul 30, 2009
    i have ran chkdsk a few times . always comes back with no problems. its a Hitachi HTS725050A9A364 500gb 7200rpm. its like 14 months old. i did a google search for firmware updates but turned nothing up. im hoping i doesnt have to be replaced. would be just my luck the systems literately 3 months out of warranty.

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I had a WD 500GB HDD fail a month ago; 31 days after the warranty expired. Stuff happens and the cost was not such that a new drive was going to be a burden. So I replaced it ... problems solved.

If you've ruled out everything else, then failing hardware is likely the problem. My wife's laptop did exactly what you're describing: instant shutdowns for no apparent reason ... her battery was gone. New battery = no more problems.

If I were you I'd restore a system image first if I had one but sounds to me like your drive is failing fast. Backup, backup, backup.

5. kaos420

Jul 30, 2009
    ya im fully backed up checked on Hitachi site said still warrantied so i wrote them ,. see where it goes.

6. kaos420

Jul 30, 2009
    fyi i havent had a single corruption as of late. i was googling and found someone with a similar issue. they remoced dell data backup.that fixed theres. i did the same. no more issues over a month now.

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #7 PhaseDoubt, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
    First thing I do with any "store bought" computer is uninstall all the vendor supplied crapware. If I need crap on my machine, I'll choose the crap to be installed.