Windows 7 switch retail to oem and vice versa

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Analyz3r, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Analyz3r

Analyz3r MDL Junior Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Hi guys, if somebody has a retail version iso of 7, is there any possibility by changing some file to mod it to oem and vice versa ?

Thanks

2. theboonie

theboonie MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2008
    There is no difference! You just need 1 SLC2.1 bios, a slic certificate that matches the bios and a SLP key.

3. Analyz3r

Oct 27, 2009
    So this means no matter if i have retail or oem dvd i can still use a Loader ?

4. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    You can use anything, like loader or BIOS mod..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    Correct. There is no such thing as different channels anymore as far as media. The ei.cfg and a few other files might say OEM or RTL or VOL or whatever, but it doesn't matter.

You can use any key on any media OEM, Retail, or VOL as long as the VOL isn't Enterprise because there are no OEM or Retail keys for those. Gone are the days when you had OEM media, RTL Media, and VOL Media, now everything is all the same. If you install say Pro off an OEM DVD, it activates the same way out of the box as a copy install off a RTL would. The key you install then dictates the channel the version is.

6. Analyz3r

Oct 27, 2009
    That's a really good explanation, thanks a lot.

So basically it's different than in the past, now the media is always the same and the serial will say if it is OEM, Retail or VL.

So again there's no need to download the Retain Media, OEM Media and VL Media, you just download one of the 3 and then use the correct key right ?

7. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    correct. Key dictates it all.

8. MR.E.

MR.E. MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    #8 MR.E., Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    It is possible to change the version from OEM to RETAIL.

You must be able to edit and save the ISO format.

Locate the file ei.cfg in the SOURCES folder and open in notepad.

You will see this basic script/command or whatever you want to call it.

Code:
    [EditionID]
    professional
    [Channel]
    retail
    [VL]

Under the CHANNEL setting change the retail to OEM or RETAIL as needed.

You may be able to change the editionID also, I did not bother to try, as I have no need for alternate language packs or bitlocker.

Although WIN 7 Pro CAN unlock the bitlocker encrypted discs, it CANNOT do the encrypting, just the decrypting part. :D

I was able to use my retail key I purchased from DigitalRiver (at the student discount) to activate an OEM Windows 7 Pro as a retail version with my key. I did not use the 3 files provided by DigitalRiver and obtained an ISO of an OEM version and it activated/updated perfectly !! :cool:

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You don't need to convert it all windows 7 dvd are the same it is only saying trial because you have not activated it yet i,e your 30 days to activate.

10. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    OPAtool did not work. Daz loader did not work.
    I did install the SLIC 2.1 BIOS ( I think) thats outlined & was created on the forum.

11. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Daz's suggestion to use WAT fix worked to fix some issues.
    After that Daz loader installed the Key & Cert successfully.

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007