Windows 7 system refuse to sleep/hibernate after the motherboard replacement.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cdavisdeco, Oct 15, 2015.

1. cdavisdeco

cdavisdeco MDL Senior Member

Jul 8, 2015
    #1 cdavisdeco, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    I recently changed my motherboard. But I didn't reinstall Windows. Now my system refuse go to sleep/hibernate. When it put to those modes the system automatically comes back to the login screen. It worked fine before the MB replacement. What's wrong with this and how can I fix this?

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Check the S3 setting in your bios.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Have a look in device manager & make sure there are no devices missing drivers or not starting.
    If something has a bang or missing drivers then that could prevent sleep/hibernate...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. cdavisdeco

Jul 8, 2015
    There are 3 options there. Auto, S1 and S3. I changed it from Auto to S3 but system still wakes up automatically. I even flashed the BIOS to the latest version.

5. cdavisdeco

Jul 8, 2015
    Checked. There is no indication of devices missing drivers.

6. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    It's a long shot, but try "sfc /scannow" (From elevated CMD prompt)

7. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Open up device manager, select something that could wake the PC, go to the power managment tab and unselect "Allow this device to wake the computer". If your PC can then sleep correctly then you would of found the culprate.

You've not said if you've reinstalled Windows after you've changed your motherboard. That's something that's always recommended as some drivers may not be configured correctly, so I'd suggest that you backup your data and reinstall Windows. You'll then want to try sleeping/hibernating before you activate Windows 7 or install anything.

8. cdavisdeco

Jul 8, 2015
    #8 cdavisdeco, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    What should I look for?

I used this command,
    Code:
    powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
    to find the devices that wake up the PC. Then as you said I disabled their ability to wake up from Device Manager. Even after that command shows nothing, the problem remains.

Yup. You're right. I didn't reinstall Windows after the MB replacement. Seems like this should be the case. I'm gonna do it as you said. Thank you.

9. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    sfc /scannow checks for corrupted system files and refreshes them. (But it appears you are reinstalling - the longest road, but the safest bet)

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Nothing feels better than a fresh clean install!
    Everything feels fresh and new