Windows 7 tips and tricks

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RACERPRO, Jan 15, 2009.

1. RACERPRO

RACERPRO MDL Senior Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Two Microsoft employees have posted helpful Windows 7 tips, tricks and secrets this week.

Tim Sneath has posted 30 secrets/tips on his blog. Some of the highlights include the following:

Get Quick Launch toolbar back
    1. Right-click the taskbar, choose Toolbars / New Toolbar
    2. In the folder selection dialog, enter the following string and hit OK:
    %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
    3. Turn off the "lock the taskbar" setting, and right-click on the divider. Make sure that "Show text" and "Show title" are disabled and the view is set to "small icons".
    4. Use the dividers to rearrange the toolbar ordering to choice, and then lock the taskbar again.

Windows Vista taskbar
    Right-click on the taskbar and choose the properties dialog. Select the "small icons" checkbox and under the "taskbar buttons" setting, choose "combine when taskbar is full".

Starting explorer from "My Computer"
    To do this, navigate to Windows Explorer in the Start Menu (it's in the Accessories folder). Then edit the properties and change the target to read: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /root,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

Old behaviour for Windows Live Messenger
    Navigate to C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\ and set the properties of msnmsgr.exe to Vista compatibility mode. This will place the Messenger icon back in your system tray and remove the 2 annoying tabs on the taskbar.

If you're wondering about the fish in the Windows 7 fish then it's a Betta Fish and also has 7 bubbles to signify Windows 7.

Brandon Paddock has posted a full list of the Winkey combinations for Windows 7 on his blog too.

source: neowin.net

2. lismith

lismith MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2009
    Thank you! That's much better. :D

3. cartoon_hero

cartoon_hero MDL Junior Member

Oct 8, 2008
    this always returns an error and never starts WLM in my case, any suggestions ?

4. DLock

DLock MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2008
    Same here, i dont think there is a fix for windows live messenger 2009...

5. lismith

lismith MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2009
    It works for me with Live Messenger 2009 build 14.0.8050.1202 running on Windows 7 x64.

I right-clicked C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmgr.exe and ticked 'Vista' under the compatibility tab.

It went through a little installation routine the next time I ran it, and now it runs in the lower-right corner like it used to. Maybe you need to close messenger (right-click the messenger 'group' and 'close all windows') before changing it?

6. FBIGirl

FBIGirl MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2009
    windows 2009 messenger problems

windows live 2009 stopped working in my computer just now help please

7. cristino5692

cristino5692 MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2008
    windows 2009 messenger problems

I Uninstall the messenger, delete the Registry key, downloaded the software again and Nothing work for me and I had to reinstall the software.