Windows 7 to 8 Upgrade - why so buggy?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Winter, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Hi guys,

When you upgrade from Win7 to 8, you can't run any Metro apps. There's no Microsoft Account, but when making one you lose all your settings transfered from Win7. Also, drivers transfered from Win7 to Win8 have to be reinstalled. If not there's high possibility of BSOD when using the newest OS.

The same for performance, I had much better performance when installing clean OS than upgrading. How is it possible? I tried to transfer Firefox settings, game settings and nothing more. The OS doesn't response, so good as it should when upgraded from Win7. Is it normal with Win8? Never had any problems when upgrading from XP to 7.

The installation is still buggy when upgrading from 7 to 8, I had to do it twice. Everytime some error messages.

2. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I like the new OS, but it gives me more random BSODs than WinMe. When creating Win7 they focused on making the OS usable, Win8 gives us new interface, but lacks relability.

3. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    yes it is because win8 is not officially out,just do a win8 standalone install :spoton:

4. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    #4 bk109, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
    Actually,I'm pretty sure something's off with your install with regard to BSOD,transferred settings and metro apps. In my case I did an in-place upgrade of a 7 Pro x64 (SP1 with a boatload of applications and games) to 8 Pro and aside from having to reinstall drivers (and by drivers I mean the bloody display driver .. mostly) I haven't had issues in that department. As for having/running metro apps, I just logged in the store app(Store/Settings/Account .. I'm not sure if it just didn't ask for a live/hotmail/account when I first fired it up,but you can certainly set one up via the route I mentioned) without first converting the local account to a microsoft one.
    Edit:Ah,yes,for what it's worth - I also did an in-place upgrade for a couple of friends' laptops and AIO's and noone's complained about a BSOD, the only thing remotely similar to it were frequent Explorer crashes that were traced to a couple of addon apps+a disabled IE.
    So,aside from PMSing about Windows 8,do you actually have something useful to say? Because frankly, every single post I've seen coming from you is a pointless and whiny anti-Win8 rant.. So do us all a favour and if you don't like Windows 8,just stay the frak out of the Windows 8 section of the forum,k?

5. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Clean install is better,yes, because you cast aside all the crap you've accumulated through the years. However, saying an upgrade doesn't work because a some people had some issues (that may or may not be connected to their particular hardware and previously installed software) doesn't mean that the process itself doesn't work on an OS level (and given that I'm up to 19 machines upgraded from 7 at this point, not a single one had any issues aside from having to reinstall some drivers,I have to say I'm not convinced it's an OS thing). In fact,I think I still keep a laptop that's gone the XP Sp2 -> Vista SP1 -> Vista SP2 -> 7 upgrade that's worked great ever since I got it in mid '07. In fact,this machine's waiting for WMC to get officially 'released' later this month(as I'm using it as a HTPC with a boatload of USB tuners)and it's gonna see an upgrade as well
    ..that said,I'm rather shocked that pretty much everyone (me included) at the IT department at work has done the jump to 8 full time their personal machines(the only ones I haven't migrated are the aforementioned HTPC and my quad-G34 combo home server/main desktop).. Fun fact,the only people that like here Metro are loyal Apple users XD

6. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Read the whole thing. The installation doesn't ask you for making a Microsoft account, without it you can't use Metro apps, because they are linked with Store.

7. supisiche

supisiche MDL Junior Member

Aug 31, 2010
  8. supisiche

Aug 31, 2010
    I like to perform clean installations but if you got your upgrade working that's nice.

9. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    A clean install is always the best way to go. I have never upgraded an OS and have been using windows since 95. An install of win8 takes very little time. I have an ssd drive and for me it took under 10 minutes and installing the programs only takes a little extra time. The amount of time you waste trying to get everything to work by upgrading you could have used doing a clean install. I tech support the pcs for my family, extended family, friends and in my experience it takes less time to format and install than to trouble shoot. I will spend a little time trouble shooting but after that it is format and install.

10. Cosmic101

Cosmic101 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2012
    I 'd have to go with supisiche, and say I prefer a clean install I've always ended up with way to many orphaned objects and just general rubbish when I have done an upgrade.
    Also i feel that you have less chance of carrying problems from one OS to another.
    A clean install might take longer, backing up files,format the hard drive etc. But over all I think you'll be happier.

11. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Are you 100% sure? Win8 says I have to have a Microsoft account in order to run Metro apps. I'm sure of it, at least the OS gives me an error.

12. supisiche

Aug 31, 2010
    The OS is asking for something it does need, it's not an error. Certain metro apps use a MS account, put the info of that account and they will work.