Windows 7 UEFI Class 3 install on ACER E5-475G?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by reyzafany, Jul 10, 2022.

1. reyzafany

reyzafany MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2019
    #1 reyzafany, Jul 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    I installed Win 10 UEFI on my machine and I need to dual boot it with Windows 7 for work reason. I tried making win 7 iso using integrate7 and pair it with UefiSeven but I keep getting stuck on starting windows screen. I also tried making windows 7 iso using mdl simplix tool in which I managed to install it until it suddenly gives me "Windows could not update the computer boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed" error at the very end of the installation.
    I would be very grateful if someone could point me out to the right guide or help me in tackling this problem.

Machine Specifications:
    Acer Aspire E5 475G.
    i5-7200U
    8GB RAM.
    NVIDIA GeForceĀ® 940MX
    Team Lite 3D 120GB SSD
    1TB HDD 5400 RPM.

2. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    reason to use windows 7 ?

on windows 10

use ltsb 2016 and enable net frameworks 3.5 and add net frameworks 4.8 to have windows 10 compatibility and win7 compatibility ;)

try

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jiafei2427

jiafei2427 MDL Member

Nov 26, 2020
  4. CEW

CEW MDL Senior Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #4 CEW, Jul 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    From within windows 10, you could try applying the win7 image to a separate partition using something like winntsetup.

Or from within wndows 10 - you can apply the win 7 image to a separate partition using win10 dism , then use win 10 bcdboot.exe to add the boot menu entry.

Add the graphics driver to the aplied image using dism++ before trying to boot into it.

5. marrhwmdl

marrhwmdl MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2013
    #5 marrhwmdl, Jul 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    Hi there!

On Intel-based HP 17-by2000 laptop, UefiSeven 1.30 (the latest version I've found until now) allows Win7 boot. I wrote "boot" because I applied a fully updated Win7 installation sysprepped some time ago, only patching the drivers needed to make it work. Obviously, not all drivers can be installed, due to the laptop's design (specifically for Win10 and above, surely NOT BELOW it).

Some of the issues I've found are related to:
    - the secondary, entry-level, muxless AMD Radeon R7 440M GPU: on next boot after installation, it gets the yellow triangle (device stopped due to reported problems; I can live without it, being the Intel graphics more powerful than this crappy one provided by the "new HP marketing practices"! After all, I bought the laptop only because it was the only one available with 17" display at an affordable price and it wasn't needed for hyper-gaming or other power-hungry similar activities - I have my supertower rig, for that :D);
    - the boot process: with /SOS boot parameter, it doesn't display the black screen with Windows version, build and Service Pack, along with the number of processors and the memory available.

Usually, it should resemble like this:
    Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)
    8 System Processors [7992 MB Memory] Multiprocessor Kernel

There's also an issue with the brightness: despite the Fn keys actually change the brightness slider's value in Windows Mobility Center, the eDP monitor brightness does not physically change and stays at its maximum level. This is totally uncomfortable because it makes my eyes burn, and it also uselessly drains the battery more quickly, but I suspect it is more related to the Intel graphics driver than UefiSeven.

P.S.: I'm sorry to say that I posted this in the wrong thread (I picked the wrong tab). Don't know if my Win7 attempt can be useful.