windows 7 ultimate You may be a victiin of software counterfeiting

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by nitro, Mar 10, 2010.

1. nitro

nitro MDL Junior Member

Feb 28, 2008
    A window pops up randomly,

Optional update delivery is not working.

You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. this happened after I removed
    KB971033. This is occuring even though my windows is genuine and activated.

Could somebody please advise how I can prevent this from popping up and get all updates to work again..

Thanks

2. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    Go online and validate your copy, make sure you do not have the blacklisted key installed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nitro

nitro MDL Junior Member

Feb 28, 2008
    How do I find out if i have a black listed key..

4. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    look Here and see if your key is listed.

6. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
    Yes, it is OK.

7. nitro

nitro MDL Junior Member

Feb 28, 2008
    I Thank every body for the quick responses. All the the great support is much appreciated, This site is the great!

8. Zepp

Zepp MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    My guess is the PID checker is working off a .dll list that has not been updated recently.

9. autobengal

autobengal MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2008
    The Lenovo key has been blacklisted for over a month now.

10. dvpatel

dvpatel MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    My HP laptop got windows updates this morning and now its reporting as not genuine. :(

11. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #13 Rosco, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
    You have probably installed the Windows Activation Technology (WAT) update KB 971033 and used a pre-activating DVD which I assume you downloaded - the WAT update has found the loader used on those "pre-activated" DVDs and rendered your installation invalid.

If this is what has happened to you there are a host of ways to fix this - search for threads about KB 971033 and follow instructions on how to fix it - it involves removing the loader M$ have targetted (on the so-called "pre-activating" DVD and now on your hard drive) and replacing it with one the KB971033 update doesn't break - apparently Daz's works - and re-validating after some tinkering.

If it is this update that has broken your system when you become genuine again you can uninstall it - and I would as it is designed to update itself over time so you never know what it will do in the future but I suspect loaders that are manually installed are not M$ prime targets - self activating DVDs that can be sold to unsuspecting "customers" are.

Now some tips :-

1.Turn off "automatic updates" - change to notify before install.
    2.Never just blindly install updates unless you know what it is for - it could break something even though it is not meant to - even M$ are not perfect.
    3.If you have any doubt create a backup that you can restore from - a bit of work but better than no rescue.
    4.You should have a safe place to store system backups - a seperate partition at the least BUT a second drive is better as you can also store all your data (documents, game saves, music etc) here safe from an OS crash.

12. dvpatel

dvpatel MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    Thanks Rosco. I did not install any loaders. My laptop is actually a Compaq CQ60 so I have a genuine SLIC 2.1 BIOS and I installed the cert and key by hand. No loaders or WAT's were involved. I don't have automatic updates turned on. The updates are automatically downloaded but I did let it install the updates. I haven't had any issues for a few months. I was using the official HP OEM key. I changed it to one of the other one that someone said is still valid and it all is fine now. So, it seems M$ blacklisted the HP key that is posted in the master OEM keys thread. Thanks for the tips.

13. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
  14. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Absolutly not! HP Key is working fine...don't post bulls**t, please ;)

15. ennio

ennio Guest

My suggestion is to create new sticky thread with OEM keys that have been blacklisted. Just to avoid the confusion.

16. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Blacklisted keys are removed from the OEM:SLP collection post (this far only the old LENOVO Ultimate key), so i see no use for such topic

17. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
  18. denlem

denlem MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2009
    I just got with this today after and update last night. KB971033 was one of the updates. I tried uuninstalling it but that didn't help. I used 7Loader 1.5 and have been active and valid for months. Not any more! :(