Windows 7, Unknown (to me) problem.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dsmyth1915, Jul 23, 2014.

1. dsmyth1915

dsmyth1915 MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2014
    Hello all!

I've encountered a problem with my HP Pavillion DV6 laptop. Earlier today I decided to upgrade from a Windows Home Premium x86 to a Windows Ultimate x64 OS. The install went fine, except for the fact that it will no longer load past the POST. It's going through the first Hp Pavillion load, but after that there's a black screen with and underscore blinking in the top left, where the OS loading should occur. I have unplugged the battery, ac, all externals, and hard reset. I fiddled with the Bios settings to try to reboot from the disc. I am able to run the recovery partition. From here, I've found out that the installation was successful using CMD. Meaning that all old files from the home premium has been moved to the Windows.old folder, and it seems that the Win7 ultimate edition has added it's necessary files. Being the genious I am, I didn't think to create a backup before I did this. I have tried to re-run the OS installation through this cmd prompt, by just pathing to the executable, but receive the error; "The subsystem needed to support the image type is not present".

If anyone has any information that they can give me to help sort out my problem, I would appreciate it greatly.

Guiding questions:

Is there something that I did wrong?
    Is it possible in this state to be able to run the setup.exe from the win 7 cd?
    Will I have to flash the bios?
    Any third party programs or tools that could help?
    Am I SOL and need to get a new laptop?
    Do I need to provide any more information; If so, what would you need?

Thanks, and have a wonderful evening.
    ~DS

2. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ dsmyth1915, you cannot upgrade from whatever version x86 to x64 you need to do clean installation.

4. dsmyth1915

dsmyth1915 MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2014

I came to figure that out while continuing to fiddle with the cmd and digging around the web. I have since then fixed this issue, and now have my computer up and running. If anyone comes into the same predicament I was in, simply create a boot drive with the OS you want to install and reformat the partition/drive you wanted to use. Thank you urie and wazoo for your responses.

CASE SOLVED!