Windows 7 Updated = shutdown and reboot slowly...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by yro, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yro

yro MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2009
    That is my problem: after installed all the updates from windows update, my windows 7 just crap.

Now, when i reboot my system or shutdown it, the system shows me the screen with saving desktop / profile (sorry, in my language is "salvando modificações / perfil) and take a long time to be done. Im talking about 2 or 4 minutes to shutdown or reboot.

I disable some services that maybe can take the reboot / shutdown time slow, and I try to disable the pagefile and ecrease the finish process time to 2000mls. But the problem isnt solved. I dont wanna make craps on my system of make tweaks to make it fast, I just wanna have my 7 running faster than before updates.

Does anyone here have the same problem as i? Or can anybody help me with this issue? Maybe some update did it to my 7. I dont know...

Help please?

Im thinking is back to xp pro...

I like 7 but this shi$%# is making me change my mind.

sorry about my english.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
    i have no problems at all.. and my laptop is old as hell ..
    i migrated from XP straight to Win7 .. and absolutely love Win7 ..

people always want to blame the software.. ever consider the user?

i.e. not reading and researching and installing x64bit with 1GB of memory.. or do a poor job of installation/upgrade

if you don't like Win7.. go back to XP .. Microsoft could care less ..

i mean.. if you want to ask for help.. do so.. stop complaining or blaming others..

3. yro

yro MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2009
    dude.. i think you have problems... i mean,, mind problems? am i right?

wtf!!!

i just create this topic to get some help here. i like windows 7 but after update it, the system is horrible to reboot or shutdown. is too slow.

so, if you can help or if you wanna help with this issue, be wellcome and post some ideas to solve the problem. but if you are just a as$#% get over here.

i need help, not a crap maker like you..

sorry about my angry but i hate this kind of people...

help or shut up.

im waiting for some help with my problem related in this topic.

again, can anyone help me? anybody know some about windows update making the 7 slow?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Every time you install an update you add a bit more complexity. My system shuts down slower after installing all the updates than it did when first installed - no real difference in startup times.

The best thing you can do for Windows startup and shutdown is to invest in a Solid State Drive with an Indilix controller - 64 GB is big enough if you use Sata disk as data.

Best performance update available.

Sorry - don't know if any one update is affecting you - all I know is the cumulative effect has slowed my shutdown on my SSD - little change to boot.

PS - don't know why the other guy went off - hormone problems most likely !

5. cba1986

cba1986 MDL Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Maybe you should try to defrag your hard-drive. When i install a update's pack i also get a slow system but i fix it with a good defrag. i use mydefrag on a usb.

6. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #6 timesurfer, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
    Curious, how are you activating? IF your using daz loader maybe try other activation mode.

Also you could try uninstalling the updates and try them one by one to test what update might have caused the problem.

The only time a update was a problem for me was once I couldn't reboot so I had to on my compaq hit f8 key to choose boot option and it's been fine since.

You could also use your windows 7 disk to do a repair of some kind.

Are you able to try a restore point?

cba1986 suggestion regarding Defrag is the best idea I've heard so far.

I wouldn't worry about iamanoob comments. He went off on me too. I think he's working on his communication skills to say the least. Don't take it personally.

If I was you I would keep at it till you fixed this problem since windows 7 is so much better than any previous OS.

Good Luck;)

Hope you figure it out

7. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Every time you install an update you add fragmentation to your drive, you add some file fragmentation. Download a good disk defragmenter (say, perfectdisk 11), do a complete cleanup of your system, and use disk cleanup and clear previous restore points etc if you have system restore enabled, and defrag it. Also do a boot time defrag through perfectdisk.

It will help immensely as the Windows one is absolutely terrible.

8. riggsre

riggsre MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2010
    Have you tried uninstalling the updates? Do you have a restore point before the updates?

What is your system configuration; Processor, amount of mem, 32 or 64, drive space, how much free space?

Tell us a little about what yu have and we may be better able to help.

9. Thanos_The_Mad_Titans

Nov 22, 2009
    Try clean install...

yro..

I have been Win XP w/SP3 for years and I love it... I never install Vista..

so, I installed Win 7 RTM build 7600 on my PC, I did NOT upgrade from XP... only clean install..

I downloaded all lately updates w/KB971033, everything ran good..

I use Daz loader 1.7.7 and Activated & Genunie w/ WAT Passed...

maybe, you did upgrade from XP Pro? you could try clean install...

remember, use back up 1st important files, such as documents, pictures, saved, etc, etc..

Right now, I love Win 7!! and I m very happy with that.. I m not going back to XP.. :)

Magnus

10. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Not to critique you but upgrade from XP to 7 isn't really an upgrade. You still have to reinstall programs and initiate settings transfer.

Clean install is the best choice assuming you got all programs and files backed up.

11. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    It is possible your user profile is corrupted.
    Suggest you create a new user account (Administrator account, password protected). Then log out from your existing account and login into your new account.
    See if that solves your problem.

12. yro

yro MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2009
    Hi all. Im back!!!

Lets see...

I have an clean windows 7 installation on my pc.

The activation method is daz 1.7.7 repack loader with the soft mod.

I try in two cases here.

Case 1: Windows 7 Ultimate full install x86 (original DVD ISO)
    Result: The problem that ive wrote here

Case 2: Windows 7 Ultimate LITE (by me) x86 (the same ISO)
    Result: Same problem.

I passed all the day working on it.

I made an clean install (again) and everythink was fine, with daz loader as well.

I made the updates and, again, all fine!

After some reboots the system just crap again with the problem iv related before.

So I think its a problem with an update. Microsoft has put on windows update many updates that improves the compatibility with softwares, drivers and more. So maybe the problem is some of these updates.

My pc is:

AMD athlon x2 5000+
    2 x 2 Gb DDR800 in dual channel
    hd 500gb SATA
    ATI Radeom HD 4650 512mb GDDR2
    motherboard ECS GeForce 7050 M-M v2

I have to try the updates.

Tommorrow Ill format my C and install the 7 lite that ive done. I will install the OS, instal all the drivers i need, install loader by daz and stop there.

I will not install any windows updates and ill use the system for some days. If the problem doesnt appear, Ill try to install windows updates 1 by 1 and rebooting to try it and see if the problem appear in some update.

Ill let you know posting here my results.

But if anybody can help with more suggestions, Ill apreciate.

Again... sorry about my english.

Cya.

13. yro

yro MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2009
    OMG!!!

I didnt think about it! :)

Ill do it right now and post here the results.

Its makes sense. Maybe my user profile is damaged...

Ill back in a few minutes...

14. yro

yro MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2009
    :(

I created a new user account / profile as adm and reboot the system two times. In the 2 times the problem continues.

Tomorrow Ill do a clean install and do all ive said here.

Ill post my results here...

g'night

15. fallen999

fallen999 MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    I have found that running/updating the Windows Experience Index on
    the System page in Control Panel can significantly speed the boot process
    after a new install. Worth a try...

16. yro

yro MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2009
    Clean install, without updates. Working like a glance...

Try install some updates, all fine!!!

Install all updates, all fine again!!!

After two reboots, the problem is back :(

Try the log event from windows 7 and found various problems related to one file, a drive.

After some update, this dll get crashed.

Ill search for the fix for this problem and post here the results...

17. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    It could also be a virus that you picked up that is slowing it down too dude. Clean install is the best way to go if you are unsure why it is doing that. One question though, did you check to see if any program that is running using a lot of CPU time or a executed file that is using a lot of RAM(Above Explorer). That might fix your problem if you find something there that you did not know about.

18. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #18 Rosco, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
    I assume you mean a driver not "a drive".

There are several drivers you shouldn't let Windows update - older Realtek audio being one I discovered - the 7 driver update broke it for me - also Nvidia force 4 network drivers - had no network connectivity after that one - and a HP printer driver for Vista was a complete disaster.

Does your motherboard have an NVidia chipset ? If so do not let Windows update install for that - downlaod from NVidia's site - they will most likely provide all drivers for your board.

One of the most common causes of shutdown failures is an audio problem - Windows just sits there waiting for the shutdown audio to play but if it won't it hangs - M$ even acknowledge this problem in their online troubleshooting but it hasn't been fixed by them since 95 - wait a few seconds sure but force it to close after that.

If your system works at install don't update these types of drivers - some updates, especially ones supplied by third parties, aren't worth installing so turn off automatic updates - change to notify but not download or install then you can review what you install.

19. yro

yro MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2009
    sorry, its "driver", not "drive" :) my bad english...

My mb is an ecs geforce 7050 m-m (nVidea Geforce Chipset) and when i install the windows 7, the os just install all the drivers automaticaly and works fine.

After some updates and reboots, the system just crap in shutdown and reboot processes.

I dont kno.. but i think i dont care anymore about this problem. Ok, i have to wait for a long time to reboot or shutdown, but everything works fine and great.

Maybe ... MAYBE,ill make an clean install "again" and see what happens...

Thanks for your help guys.. see ya..

20. nash58

nash58 MDL Member

Feb 8, 2010
    After clean install with all device drivers installed automatically by win7 as showned in device manager, update window but select 'download updates but let me choose when to installed' option. After updates are downloaded view the available updates, unchecked and hide the audio and video updates. These 2 updates create boot up and other iisues with some pc's.