Windows 7 Upgrade install Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by vbliss, May 22, 2010.

1. vbliss

vbliss MDL Novice

May 22, 2010
    Please accept my apologies in advance for what I believe is a really stupid question, yet I'm unable to figure out the answer. :confused:

I installed Win7 (using a Microsoft Upgrade CD) on top of a Vista Home Premium system. I followed the default instructions of the Microsoft installation disk. It appeared to wipe the disk prior to the install, yet when the install completed, I noticed I still had residual files/folders on my hard drive from the previous operating system. I now only have 1/2 my original hard drive available for use. I'm willing to completely reformat the drive and start over (even created a bootable cd with a wipe feature) however, if I boot from the cd, it starts fine but when I start the wipe process, the system simply shuts down - no power. If I boot the drive using the installed Win7 operating system it runs fine but again, 1/2 my hard drive is used up with redundant files/folders. I'm guessing there isn't a hardware problem, otherwise it wouldn't boot up using the Win7 system. Any suggestions as to how I may format this silly drive? I have a Toshiba P205D laptop that came pre-partitioned with the Toshiba boot.sdi and boot.wim files located within the sources folder on a small partition just for this purpose.

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered. :eek:

2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Look in c:\windows\windows.old folder for that extra stuff

In start enter disk clean up and then click clean system files and you'll get your space back

3. vbliss

vbliss MDL Novice

May 22, 2010
    I knew it would be something simple - duh! thanks so much for your help!