Windows 7 VERY slow browsing folders

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by spamer80, Nov 20, 2009.

1. spamer80

spamer80 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2009
    Hello, I'm using Windows 7 Home Basic x86, 7600.16385.090713-1255 and I experiencing problems navigating through folders in Windows Explorer. Navigation is slow due to the fact that for some unknown reason, a delay before opening the folder. At this moment, to open the folder spent about 5 seconds. After clicking the mouse the busy system cursor icon appears for a few seconds then the folder with all content opens immediately. This is REALLY annoying. And this delay is increasing day by day. When I just installed the system and all of the necessary programs, there there was no delay at all, folders open instantly. After several days, a small delay and a busy cursor appears when opening folders. A few days later, the delay increased to 2 seconds. Then - to 3 etc. Now it is 5 seconds and I think, it will increase more.

I tried to reinstall system (both x86 and x64, Home Basic and Home Premium), install debugging tools, manage a power profile, used Autoruns or ShellExView to manipulate shell extensions. Restarting explorer.exe wasnt helpful. I also tried to install just a minimum of needed software (OpenOffice, Kaspersky Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, Miranda, uTorrent) and that wasnt helpful at all too. I tried to disable antivirus - still nothing changed. All of my system drivers are up to date and installed by the OS itself. Under other user's profile there is also the same delay.
    The only one thing, which helped - after booting in safe mode, the delay was gone . In normal mode the delay still presents. So, I think that some kind of software cause this, but I do not have any ideas what program is causing this delay. I tried really EVERYTHING, what I found in Google for "slow browsing folders", both for Windows 7 and Windows Vista (also, in Windows Vista there was not this problem for me).

Cause the delay is increasing after a period of time, that seems to be some kind of caching, etc, but I also tried to disable all of backup, restore, indexing and caching services in "Control Panel -> Administration -> Services", also without any result.

My PC configuration is:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+
    Asus M4N79 Deluxe
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    ATi Radeon HD5870
    80Gb+200Gb+1500Gb+2000Gb HDD's
    etc.

Installed software:
    Firefox 3.5.5
    Thunderbird 3.0 b4
    Miranda 0.8.10
    Skype 4.1
    uTorrent 1.8.4
    Semagic 1.7.3.3U
    The KMPlayer 2.9.4 buid 1436
    Fraps 2.9.9
    Paint.NET 3.5
    Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 Free, version 6.76
    TopPlan 7.5.0.1808
    FineReader 9.0Pro
    Alcohol 52% Free 1.9.8 build 7612
    Download Master 5.5.15.1177
    ffdshow
    Foxit Reader 3.0 (1817)
    Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 9.0.0.736
    OpenOffice 3.1
    Nokia PC Suite 7.1.40.1
    WinRar 3.80
    VirtualBox 3.0.12

I will be very grateful for any assistance because I do not really want to go back to Windows Vista, although I think its a good OS, but Windows 7 in my opinion is really better. Also, sorry for my english, in some phrases I used translator to write this.

Thank you very much.

2. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    #2 gentoo, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
    +1

Many people have had this issue.

3. Pliskin

Pliskin MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Have you tryed to fully uninstall KIS?

In way back i got a similar problem (slow broswing in network and folders), i tryed to disable KIS with no succes - only a full uninstall of KIS solved my problem ...

Even when disabled KIS/KAV leaves a service activ.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    It's KIS.

there was a thread some time ago with exactly the same issue.
    after pointing out several times it was KIS, the guy finally listened to me and uninstalled it. The slowdown had vanished.

So yeah, uninstall KIS. Use another alternative or live with it.

5. ffcloud2000

ffcloud2000 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Try to disable the SuperFetch Service and remove the Indexing Windows Feature.. i've noticed it helps with certain computers

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #6 genuine555, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  7. spamer80

spamer80 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2009
    Thank you for your answers. I will now try to uninstall KIS, and look how it feels. After that, I'll add an upd to this post.

Do you think, if it will work, could it be improved by installing KAV, not KIS? I mean a few month before I have bought KAV, there is no moneyback, so I wanna use it. Also, I trust Kaspersky as antivirus software.

Now going to uninstall KIS.

8. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    As an AV, Kaspersky scores good.
    But I think the slowdowns are the same in KAV. It's the real-time protection engine that causes it.
    Try it out though, I could be wrong.

9. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    I do not use KIS or KAV, but is there a way to alter the scanning options of the real time engine?
    Like lowing heuristics or excluding particular file extensions or directories.

It may help out some but in the long run , just go for another suite/scanner.

10. spamer80

spamer80 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2009
    #10 spamer80, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
    (OP)
    Thank you, guys for your help. I thought that when I completely disabling anti-virus protection and unloaded from the system tray service also stops. That is why I did not think that the problem is in KIS. This really was KIS, now tha folders browsing returned to normal speed. I remember, that under Vista I used KAV, and there wasnt that problem, so I think this is some kind of bug in KIS, probably in "application control" or in other similar protection component.

I will report this bug in Kaspersky support as soon as possible. It is surprising that the bug only occurs after several days of use, and every day become worse.
    And now I try to return to KAV.

11. withinthemind

withinthemind MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Hello,
    I had this issue and YOU DO NOT HAVE TO UNINSTALL KIS/KAV!

Just go to Control Panel > Add Remove programs > Select KIS/KAV > CLICK ON MODIFY/REMOVE > SELECT REPAIR and let it "repair" your installation. I have no idea what it's doing but I have no more slowdowns afterwards.

Cheers,

12. SharkCB

SharkCB MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2007
    I have same issues with Bitdefender IS 2010, but it isn't too frequent...

13. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    That'll be only temporarily. U will see. The only things u can do to make it go away permanently, besides uninstalling, is disabling real-time protection. And that's rediculous.

14. withinthemind

withinthemind MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    It's been working here for 1 week with daily updates *knocks on wood*. Hopefully, kaspersky will come up with an updated build.

15. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    They will. And the more people report this issue to them, the more chances are it'll get fixed soon.

16. ajua

ajua MDL Junior Member

Feb 17, 2008
    The problem with latest version of KIS (I don't know about KAV) is solved by going into Settings - Options and there Uncheck Enable Self-Defense and click Apply.

Check Enable Self-Defense and click Apply again. The problems is solved and Self-Defense is still enabled.

Somehow the application does something with that setting but until a new version is released this will solve your problem.

17. fredpsycho83

fredpsycho83 MDL Junior Member

Feb 4, 2008
    i confirm, that works fine for me now, thx

18. vdl68

vdl68 MDL Junior Member

Sep 11, 2009
    I don't know why some are having problem with KIS-KAV product!! I've been using KIS 9.0.0.736 with Win 7 Ultimate x64, and it's running smooth and fast! Maybe you should try Windows 7 Manager to "tweak" your system. ;)

19. Pliskin

Pliskin MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    And i don´t know, why some people having no problems with KIS/KAV ...
    Windows7 Manager will do nothing against that ... because its a problem with Kaspersky itself.

@Ajuna

de&activating the Selfdefence may a solution, but this is only a temporary solution.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. vdl68

vdl68 MDL Junior Member

Sep 11, 2009

I guess you are one of the "unlucky" one that KIS does NOT like... ;);) Also, what was your source of getting KIS-KAV product from??