Windows 7 went corrupt..... is there anything I can do?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by President Fluid, Mar 22, 2010.

1. President Fluid

President Fluid MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2009
    I have beat around this for a whole day and have not come up with anything.

I have a Toshiba satellite L355-s7812 with a Seagate 320 sata drive. When I woke up Saturday morning and flipped open the screen it was in System Recovery Mode. I let it go all day. came back to it in the evening and it looked like it hung up some time during the day. so I rebooted and all it boots to is a blank screen with the mouse pointer. I have tried safe mode but all it does is hang. Have tried all the system recovery options and all fail. Tried recovery with a W7 dvd and failed. Swapped out with my back up Vista drive and the Vista drive booted just fine. So it is not a hardware issue beyond the HD its self.

I put the W7 HD in an external case, plugged it in, Vista sees the drive just fine. Can browse all the folders and so on. I got all my school work so now if it comes down to a reformat it wont matter.

Was just wondering that since it seems that the HD is fine if there is a way to recover the corrupt section of 7 and hopefully get it to reboot without having to format it. Would be nice since I have pretty much the way I like how I have it set up.

2. President Fluid

Dec 16, 2009
    #3 President Fluid, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
    (OP)
    It is x64 but I don't use Bit Defender. I do have Kaspersky Internet Security suite installed.

Just read that Bit Defender at Slashdot...... Do you think KIS ended up doing the same thin and that's what may have happened?

3. kdo2milger

kdo2milger MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2010
    did you try bootsect.exe /nt60 all from the cmd console using recovery dvd?

4. President Fluid

Dec 16, 2009
    I was looking at that but I have used a W7 loader. I know that will wipe that out. But in all cases I should be fine no matter which way I go.

I will try that after class and post my results.

5. kdo2milger

kdo2milger MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2010
    ok, let us know.

and use daz's loader in my sig when you get back in windows. its the best loader out right now.

be sure to follow his thread when you install it.

6. President Fluid

Dec 16, 2009
    Nothing. While in cmd prompt I execute the commands and it says Operation Successful. Go and reboot and still just a blank screen with the mouse. So that is another fail to chock up on the list.

7. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    One relevant question: I have the original w7 ultimate 64 bit dvd from this repository which I activated with daz loader. In case of repair need when I can boot into w7, do I need to uninstall daz or will w7 dvd do it for me. Then when it is recovered/repaired but unactivated, I can use daz.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #9 timesurfer, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
    In repository Section 6-H when using repair command line instructions they will clear boot partition of loader then you can use daz again if you want :)

9. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #10 acyuta, Mar 23, 2010
    Thank God for this forum and especially timesurfer who has been of help quickly and without fail. I have now a genuine windows iso which I can use for installation, recovery. I also have the way to activate. Thanks a lot. So process is the same as for repair. Only repair/recovery will remove loader which is not an issue. Boot from windows dvd, repair/recover, complete, get unactivated, use daz, and get on with it.

On the other hand, so far in my 2-3 previous installations, I have never faced a boot problem as mentioned by the thread starter. However, 6H is nice to know. Somehow, the guide should be downloadable as pdf (there is a mention of an old guide which can be downloaded).

FYI, my system is 2009 made (as can be seen from the signature). I have also got around to downloading the digital river 64 bit professional file thru jdownloader.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #11 timesurfer, Mar 23, 2010
    This forum does rule and I feel very fortunate to receive communication and occasionally be honored to give asistance to others when I have something to contribute to MDL participants :cool:

11. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Dude, my advise to you if you still did not fix it to either back up everything you want and then do a clean install or install it without formatting thereby keeping all your files intact while repairing the windows files as well.

12. President Fluid

Dec 16, 2009
    Well I ate the big one and just did a fresh install of 7. Didn't want too but everything I tried just led me to a blank screen and a mouse pointer in the end.

13. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    So your saying it did not help? At what point did you get the blank screen? Did you format before reinstalling? If so then it is probably something that has to do with the hardware of your computer. Some bad piece or something. Have you tried checking your hard drive for errors? You might want to check that out. If that is not the issue then I would suspect your video card is having issues rendering or somthing like that but again it is so hard to say if it hardware related or not.

14. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Could be the video card. On my old nvidia 7200 256 mb, win 7 desktop icons did not load frequently (say 6/10 times when restarted or from cold start). Result: improper reboot and switch on/off many times. Led to 1-2 crashes too. Changed my graphic card to nvidia 9800 gt 1gb and that problem has disappeared.

15. President Fluid

Dec 16, 2009
    I really couldn't say. Toshiba released all the drivers for this laptop for Win 7 and I had them all installed. I can't recount what I may have installed or unistalled before the crash. I highly doubt it is a hardware problem. I popped in my drive with Vista on it and it booted normal. Up to the point of it saying "Attempting System Recovery" It was running flawlessly. Never had as issue. I did a reformat and checked the drive for errors and came up with nothing. As for the point of when it was just mouse pointer it was instant, right after the toshiba splash screen. All the drive did was just spin and the HD light was just on steady. I do think it was a self induced error but for what it was I will never know.

16. nash58

nash58 MDL Member

Feb 8, 2010
    U could try to remove i stick of ram, if u have 2 of them, and boot up with it. If still no go, swap the ram slot and try again. Some rams works fine with vista, xp but with win7 it corrupted your os.

17. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    It could still be your video card though dude. Hell it could even be your bios. I have a friend that I installed windows 7 on and the setup for windows 7 took forever to load up properly. Turns out it was a damn bios update that fixed the issue on his computer so you never know. Is it possible that you can either swap your video card with another one or just use your onchip card just to see if the problem still exists?

18. jinrowolf

jinrowolf MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2010
    format and reinstall.

A really important lesson

Before you dick with your system make a reliable backup first

19. President Fluid

Dec 16, 2009
    I was talking with someone and they mentioned that it could have been a M$ update to kill pirated copies.... Don't know if that is true or not. But I was reading somewhere where M$ checks every 90 days or so. Just kinda still stumped.