Windows 7 What was Paradox Crack?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by locarno, Jun 17, 2019.

1. locarno

locarno MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2014
    Hello.
    It is true that Paradox team was first to crack Windows 7 Ultimate ?

I can't find much info about this.

Only in wikipiedia we can read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_(warez)

"Paradox was first to release SLIC 2.1 details and a working crack for Windows 7."

2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Warez is elsewhere not here

3. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Are you sure the news is new?

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Not news ancient.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #5 Yen, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Strictly seen it is not and never was a crack.
    The first way to activate Vista was a second Vista OS running on a VM that was activated with a legal KMS key.
    THIS virtual VM image has been shared as activator, though. As a local source to get a KMS response.

The SLIC in BIOS proof of concept "A possible flaw in the activation of Vista" came from Aeno and BinBin. They are Chinese.

AFAIK Paradox later then released a driver to inject a SLIC which only worked until Vista SP1.
    The BIOS SLIC guys were different, though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    A driver? So, similar to what ODIN did?

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #7 Yen, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Oh yeah Odin.
    secr9tos the dev moved and charged for it at another forum. So we canceled relationship and support here immediately.

If I recall rightly Odin was later. Technically I don't know the details anymore since I focused on BIOS mods.
    The only 'soft' solution I experimented myself was called wow.
    Paradox played no big role (here). It could have been a dll to inject, though

Maybe I still have the original POC from Aeno somewhere, though. :)

Edit: Oh yes I still have it!!! :D POC is from 12/02/2007. A 13 page document.

Original title: "Microsoft SLP2.0 authentication machine-made flaws analysis and breakthrough confirmation demonstration"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. locarno

locarno MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2014
    Ok. You shared info about Windows Vista. But what about Windows 7 crack and Paradox ?

Can you share this POC ?

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #9 Yen, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Yes I can upload it when I am back home.
    Here is it:

Paradox had nothing to do with windows7 anymore. Their emulation driver stopped working with Vista SP1 already.
    Besides of that it suffered from BSOD: https://techjourney.net/how-to-uninstall-paradox-windows-vista-crack-activator/
    The more famous VOATK tools could uninstall Paradox.

Vista was the first OS that used a new SLP 2.0. The successor w7 just used the same SLP (2.1) with just a minor update of the SLIC / certificates and OEM keys.
    The way is absolutely the same.

Paradox played a minor role at win activation. They offered a soft solution to emulate an ACPITable. This did not work anymore after SP1 and it had been very hardware dependant (compatibility issues).

There were other soft solutions for instance KMS from VM image and the simple timestop / unlimited rearm.

As being said already Paradox developed their emulator AFTER the POC of Aeno has been published. Paradox have released their emulation on March 2007 whereas the POC and working BIOS is from 12th February.
    The BIOS guys were first!

Remarkably almost all articles about Paradox are from 6/3/2007 (most are vanished already, though.)
    The earliest about Paradox is 3/3/2007
    This is from 4th: https://web.archive.org/web/2007030...rt.com/5512/pirate_crack_vista_oem_activation
    https://www.walkernews.net/paradox-...ws-vista-and-get-updates-from-windows-update/
    As you can see they developed an emulation driver to emulate a SLIC ACPITable.
    The APC article is not completely right when it comes to technical explanations, though

The first reasonable soft solution to introduce a SLIC was Vista Loader, a loader before Daz loader that has been released, but it was concerning compatibility far behind Daz loader. (Any other soft solution like remove WAT altered the OS itself or added something to the system).

10. locarno

locarno MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2014
    What about team Paradox now ? They are still alive ?

11. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
  12. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
  13. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    Thank you very much for this thread ......so much background information is realy interesting for me . To see how we got where we are now ...... and who the clever people are and what they did and how they did it . Like reading a good detective novel full of folk heros . Have a soft spot for people like that ...... that see problems and work on them untill they solve the problem ........ for me folk heros like sprayers and grafiti . The human spirit acepts no chains and evolution eventualy breaks them and throws them off .