Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JohnsonAdam, Mar 26, 2017.

1. JohnsonAdam

JohnsonAdam MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2017
    I have just bought a new laptop. I don't know what version of Windows is suitable for me. I want to run basic application such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint. I laso work with Photoshop so I will install CS6 and Illustrator. Can you suggest me the version of Windows I should install? My laptop has 4GB RAM

2. MajkelP

MajkelP MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2015
    In my opinion install Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate. I am using 7 and I am not going to move to 8.1 or 10. Less problems and spy - telemetry. Or you can install 7, 8.1 and 10 and you can test, after this, you will choose. :) On this forum there are a lot of information from users. I think 7 wins.

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

Aug 15, 2012
    Not sure where you've been hiding, but MS massively increased telemetry in Win 7/8.1 via several updates, which tend to be re-released regularly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Windows 8.1

even the name is unique among WinNT systems :D

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    If you plan to stick with 4GB RAM go with Windows 7 Ultimate x64 if your machine will take 64 bit. Since 7’s “spying” is now approaching that of 10’s that aspect doesn’t really matter.

Just go with the one that has desktop and menu system you like best.

6. MajkelP

MajkelP MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2015
    Sure, but still there is a less than in Windows 10. :) In 7 you do not have MS Store and other unwanted crappy software, Cortana, ads. etc. but everyone chooses for themselves.

7. s1ave77

s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

Aug 15, 2012
    Wasn't meant as recomendation, only a fact. Choice is to either avoid a lot of telemetry related updates (that get refreshed regularly) on Win 7/8.1 or cut out the telemetry/search related stuff once in Win 10.

No store, related apps or cortana on my Win 10 and the base is faster than Win 7.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    The first thing you should do, is check, what drivers your laptop has available.

Some new laptops, may not have windows 7 drivers, plus if you have some older type peripherals, they may not work on win10.

So you should find out first, what drivers your laptop has, to make sure you can use win7, and every works, as some new laptops, may not have drivers for this os. Ie forcing you to use win10.

9. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    What did you finally decide and why? I'm always curious what "features" shifts a users decision one way or the other; I often garner little bits of information that may be helpful to me one day.

And just out of curiosity, what OS came installed on the laptop?

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    If the op just bought a new laptop, then it would have 10 pre-installed. Dunno what version of 10 that would be. From what I've seen so far, chances are very slim that the drivers for Windows 7 are available

11. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Unused Windows 7 laptops are still available per a Google search I just did. They are drying up, and Microsoft has apparently stopped shipping Windows 7, but they can still be bought. Most are Windows 7 via downgrade, but some are native Windows 7. Old stock or bad website maintenance maybe. I played with one a few days ago at a local shop. Owner stated it was unused and he had the shipping docs to prove it. No idea of the unit's age and don't really care as I was just killing time while my wife drooled over the new Baby Lock embroidery machines next door.

Regardless, for reasons stated, I think it would be nice for the OP to supply a little feedback.

12. z0d_aWP

z0d_aWP MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2016
    #12 z0d_aWP, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  13. JohnsonAdam

JohnsonAdam MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2017
    I like the interface of Win 10 but I heard that Win 7 is more stable than Win 8, not sure about Win 10

14. GodHand

GodHand MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2016
    Simply because you personally do not know how to install Windows 7 on Skylake and/or pure UEFI/vPro/GPT systems without the use of CSM does not remotely mean most of what you stated is at all correct. In fact, quite the contrary.

Yes, Windows 7 takes a bit of modifying to boot from GUID/GPT in pure UEFI mode, but it's extremely easy to to. Moreover, USB 3.0 drivers, including an installation tutorial, can be found on Intel's official website for installing Windows 7 on Skylake-equipped machines.

Though not in the same spectrum as the regular end-user (which I usually am one), I have deployed Windows 7 install.wims to UEFI/Secure Boot connected systems from my enterprise server, and the systems connected are Dell, Lenovo, Compaq, custom builds, etc.

I have installed Windows 7 without server deployment by simply tweaking the install.wim to include the proper .efi file in the Boot directory and using dism to add universal USB 3.0 drivers. Voila, system boots in pure UEFI mode, and without CSM enabled, to my USB 3.0 and installs the image.

15. zmeul86

zmeul86 MDL Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Could you please explain the steps for a particular case? Thx

16. jamiehennings

jamiehennings MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2017
    As you mentioned, you need windows for basic functionalities. Hence, In my opinion you need to go with Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate. The reason behind it is adaptability of windows 7 start menu, it provides better interface. The only reason you can shift from windows 7 to windows 10 is Microsoft will stop providing assistance in 2020. Otherwise, Since windows 7 is best option for you.

17. NsaFarm

NsaFarm MDL Junior Member

Mar 29, 2017
    I disagree that the 10 base system is faster. It uses more memory than 8.1 or 7. Maybe 10% more.

Besides that there isn't much difference between 7, 8.1, 10 once you remove telemetry and metro/apps.

18. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    #18 Palladin, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Agreed. I recently installed a fresh copy of Win-7 Pro and was planning on activating it with Daz Loader. I used Simplix to avoid the Windows Update nightmare, and then turned Windows Update off. But the updates kept on coming. New ones from 2017 (??) Daz has posted a list of updates to get rid of and these weren't on that list.

I said screw Professional and formatted the drive and installed Win-7 Enterprise. After Simplix I checked for updates and there were only 3, one for Net 10 and a couple more that didn't seem bad. I ran Daz's list and shut off Windows Update and haven't had another Windows Update bother me since I turned it off.

Seems Win-7 Enterprise for now anyway, can avoid the hassles of the telemetry crap. No telling how long that will last though.:confused:

Here the original Daz list
    Save as a .bat file and run it from elevated admin

wusa /uninstall /kb:2282822 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:2952664 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:2976978 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:2977759 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:2990214 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3021917 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3044374 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3045999 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3050265 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3063858 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /norestart

:new
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3088195 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3042058 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3093983 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3093513 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3123862 /norestart

A little later list, but I didn't run any of them. Many of these were deleted from the latest version of Simplix but it's worth taking a look at the list and deciding for yourself.
    : newer
    : be cautious deleting these updates. WU gets fubar
    : items with a "*" were installed. Watch so the don't come back

goto around.this
    wusa /uninstall /kb:971033 /norestart **
    wusa /uninstall /kb:2282822 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:2505438 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:2670838 /norestart **
    wusa /uninstall /kb:2882822 /norestart **
    wusa /uninstall /kb:2902907 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:2952664 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:2976978 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:2977759 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:2990214 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:2999226 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3012973 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3015249 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3021917 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3042058 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3044374 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3050265 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3050267 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3064683 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3065987 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3065988 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3072318 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3074677 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3075851 /norestart **
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3075853 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3078667 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3081437 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3081454 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3081954 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3083324 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3083325 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3083710 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3083711 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3086255 /norestart **
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3088195 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3090045 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3093983 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3102810 /norestart **
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3102812 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3107998 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3112336 /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3112343 /norestart
    :around.this

19. wonderbat

wonderbat MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2012
    My son is running Windows 10 on his MacBook Pro and desk top PC. He says that ever since he installed the Win 10, the MacBook Pro and the PC are having spikes of their hard drive usage up to 100% for no obvious reason. At the time of this high usage of the hard drive the MacBook Pro is getting really hot.
    So after the Windows 7 we don't really know what our computers are actually doing. Remember the Project Phoenix ( The SETI institute)?
    Well, I don't think that our computers are looking for an extraterrestrial intelligence. They have been used by intelligence agencies to spy on each other and to transfer huge amount of data across the world without our knowledge. Starting from Windows 8 the idea is to create an instrument of drastic intrusion into the privacy of everyone and collecting information from everywhere. And the customers (targets) pay a good price for it. It is like to pay for your own execution.
    So I am going Windows 7.

20. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #20 genuine555, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    I guess this question creates answers that are personal to each, because opinions and personal tastes simply differ.
    8.1 for me has always been a very clear and simple no no.
    I never asked for my desktop to become a cell phone, so...nough said.

Several reasons why I am reluctant (and will remain reluctant) to upgrade to 10:

- Loss of control

-> f.e. the settings page (as are other things) is too much akin to my cell phone (again), and has no place on a desktop environment,
    lacking many basic levels of control. The rest is in general equally pathetic.

- The looks

-> It just looks god awful ugly. Reminds me of Windows 98 with the bland windows and lack of anything similar to the smoothness of Win7's UI-look.
    Blame it on Aero, whatever, I just think 10 is plain ugly and DULL.

Also for themers, mind that the 1pxl borders are difficult to overcome when creating a custom theme.
    Aerolite ? If you want a custom theme, still as of now: forget it, you need to turn it off or stuff gets broken. (as far as I know).

- TELEMETRY

-> No explanation needed really. Even in Win7 we have to remove a dozen patches, remove tasks and delete services to get rid of (some) of them.
    In Win10 this has become cluttered beyond approach with even mentions of keyloggers and the likes. Yikes !

And if a company starts admitting to some of the directed blame like MS recently did,
    well, let's just say it doesn't create a feeling of trust. Au contraire.

- Supposed improvements

-> of which I have noticed little during my VERY short test run of the latest build and the one before that.
    Both times after just one day, I had seen enough and went back to 7.
    Boot times are supposed to be improved to 5sec according to some. I never noticed that, only maybe 5s 'faster' than 7, and not all the time, it depended.
    Regarding Win10 boot time it is mostly smoke and mirrors with many processes and file loads being done AFTER log-in,
    slowing down the desktop until it is all loaded. Kind of defeats the purpose. Smoke and mirrors.
    Performance working in 10 vs. 7 also yielded very little (imvho) to be excited about.
    Apart from copy/paste in explorer (large files) and a few other things which proved to be a 'tad' faster and more efficient,
    very little actual 'worth' is there compared to 7.

Here I run Win7, fully modified, yet rock stable, lean and fr** fast by all standards.
    Win10 has little to none improvements (for me) in that regard. It isn't as stable either.

-It's marketing scheme

-> The way MS is trying to force all 7 users to move to 10 is abhorring and makes me want to barf (excuse the language but it is the truth).
    They are actively seeking to eliminate the use of Win7, which is in fact the best fullblown OS they ever made. Imo it was the last 'real' OS they made.
    Also, despite security support until 2020, way too many patches for 7 have been and still are messed up in some manner or shape since 2014.
    Remember the dreaded KB2992611 ? Still causes issues on 7, still being deployed.
    It feels like an active campain by MS themselves to simply destroy their own crown jewel through botching patches, for the purpose of pushing the bland yet 'new' Win10.

-It's progress in development

-> 10 has been around for a few years now...last year they promised to deliver a 'finished' product in the form of the latest main release we got.
    By all means it wasn't finished then and still isn't know. It doesn't feel finished at all either, far from it.
    I had similar feelings in Vista AND 8.1, which caused me to avoid both from the very start.
    I have done the same with 10 after trying it out more than once.

I am now pretty confident 10 will have a very hard time to end up on my system ever again...

Mark my words, Win7 WILL become the next XP, and there WILL be another crisis as with XP back in the day.
    Too many users are fiercely clinging on to Win7 (still almost 50% of all users!), and that is not without proper reasoning.
    Not to mention the many companies refusing to invest in yet another upgrade. Many of them are still on XP for that matter...

When Win7 support drops completely, my music productions will remain on a Win7 machine, offline,
    while my Linux system is already sitting ready to take over in a couple of years for all online tasks.
    So in a few years, if Win10 is still the failure it is now, I will be simply moving on, away from MS.
    They can keep their cell-phone adaptations for all I care.

They should have kept the desktop environment completely separated from the cell and tablet platforms.
    A desktop usually has totally different purposes and uses than say a tablet or cellphone and even a laptop,
    so they shouldn't look the same nor have the same capabilities either. What are they thinking.
    Imo the whole 'unifying' approach is an utter fail.
    Let a desktop PC do what it does best. Same goes for a laptop and a tablet: to each THEIR OWN.

Maybe in 50 years all tech is going to be 100% integrated. Maybe then such a unifying approach would actually serve any useful purpose.
    But not today, and neither in 2020.

The ONLY argument I have in support of Win10 is for Gamers.
    Gamers will have little choice then to move to Win10, because for Games it is a different story,
    since that requires the 'latest' and 'newest' of everything to even follow up on the scene...
    For them there is significant improvement, though f.e. DirectX12, only available in 10,
    still isn't used by 99.9% of all games...

I'm not a gamer so don't need all that crap.
    Most of you won't either.

Just one opinion out of hundreds. Yet it is an opinion that echoes similarly throughout 50% of the Windows community it seems.
    The other 50% are elders and users that don't know what ENTER does...
    It is that part of the community where MS mostly 'listens' to the wishes of the users, so it explains partially why Win10 is failing.

I mean come on: they announced that they had listened to its users and 'moved the sleep button closer to the start button'.

WOW what an incredible feat !!! MS you have done it right there !

Really ?? What kind of a user would have something like THAT on the top of its 'wish list' with all of Win10's flaws and frustrations ???
    I rest my case.

Windows is dying...slowly, if they keep the same direction of turning desktops into tablets and cell-phones.
    They are killing their own product in their own foolishness to think that all INHERENTLY DIFFERENT devices can already 'be' and 'act' the same in 2017..
    I will stay behind with the best product they ever released. End rant :p